• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style v Comfort

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I was in the shoe store the other day searching out some new black shoes.

I have some brown John Lobb City II (which I am often complimented on) and was planning to get a black pair to match. They are relatively comfortable.

Then I tried a similar looking Edward Green pair. They were more comfortable.

I am a fan of John Lobb and they were definitely more stylish.

After changing my mind half a dozen times I went for comfort over style and took the Edward Green pair.

What do you guys go for? Comfort or style?

P.S. I am probably going to go and get the John Lobbs too when I next visit there. But then the decision is which pair to wear - comfort or style?

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score

Why on earth would I choose between comfort and style?  At Lobb / EG price points - and frankly, well below - I expect both.

I have feet that need orthodics but they never fit in these shoes (so my feet are on a bit of a weird angle). Real comfort is an elusive creature for me.

Fully bespoke is the answer for me but the only maker that comes here is Cleverley and I am not sold on them. I am hanging out for G & G to come here. Though I am awaiting three pairs of semi-bespoke Aubercy shoes so I could be in for a good surprise.

When it comes to shoes I wish I lived in Paris or London.

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Am I reading this right? You're spending thousands of dollars on uncomfortable shoes? You have multiple pairs paid for and on the way and you still don't know what to expect? I can appreciate that the compliments on your Lobbs mean a lot to you, but... You're making life difficult for yourself.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Am I reading this right? You're spending thousands of dollars on uncomfortable shoes? You have multiple pairs paid for and on the way and you still don't know what to expect? I can appreciate that the compliments on your Lobbs mean a lot to you, but... You're making life difficult for yourself.

Basically true.

Apart from the fact that they are not that uncomfortable. We are talking it could be more comfortable as opposed to Japanese Bound Foot (though the Cleverley Chirchill's I got were pretty close to the latter).

What would you do in my shoes (couldn't resist it)?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you do in my shoes (couldn't resist it)?

I'd get rid of the shoes that aren't comfortable and I'd try on different brands and lasts of shoes until I found ones that were both stylish and comfortable.

I know that this is SF and that we fetishise style here, but life's too short to go around wearing uncomfortable shoes because they look good. Better to wear a comfortable pair of Loakes than an uncomfortable pair of Lobbs.

Reaction score
When i buy a fashion items, the most important things for me to keep in mind is its comfort. Comfort > Like > Beauty > Price.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am hanging out for G & G to come here.

I know that everyone has different feet, but I've found that while I can wear Lobb and Edward Green comfortably, I haven't found a G&G last that fits me well. So you might be disappointed when you finally get around to trying on a pair of G&G.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I know that everyone has different feet, but I've found that while I can wear Lobb and Edward Green comfortably, I haven't found a G&G last that fits me well. So you might be disappointed when you finally get around to trying on a pair of G&G.

I have a couple already and they are pretty comfortable (comparatively).

I was talking more fully bespoke G & G that take my orthodics into account.

The Edward Greens are really the most comfortable - but I don't really like the lines of them (they look like Frankenstein shoes compared to the Lobbs).

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Here's the two in question.

The Green's on the top seemed so much bigger (and the cap isn't straight - which is probably why they are more comfortable).

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different lasts = different comfort levels.

The EGs look as though they're on the 202 last (although I could be wrong), which is a very forgiving, roomy last that also fits people with higher insteps well.

Lobb's 7000 last is (in my experience, at least, bearing in mind that we all have different feet), not nearly as forgiving or roomy, nor as good for higher insteps.

If you do have trouble fitting into shoes, particularly with your orthotics, you might look at trying some bluchers, instead of balmoral or oxford shoes (ie shoes with open lacing rather than closed lacing).

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have feet that need orthodics but they never fit in these shoes (so my feet are on a bit of a weird angle). Real comfort is an elusive creature for me.

Fully bespoke is the answer for me but the only maker that comes here is Cleverley and I am not sold on them. I am hanging out for G & G to come here. Though I am awaiting three pairs of semi-bespoke Aubercy shoes so I could be in for a good surprise.

When it comes to shoes I wish I lived in Paris or London.

Or Vienna

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Different lasts = different comfort levels.

The EGs look as though they're on the 202 last (although I could be wrong), which is a very forgiving, roomy last that also fits people with higher insteps well.

Lobb's 7000 last is (in my experience, at least, bearing in mind that we all have different feet), not nearly as forgiving or roomy, nor as good for higher insteps.

If you do have trouble fitting into shoes, particularly with your orthotics, you might look at trying some bluchers, instead of balmoral or oxford shoes (ie shoes with open lacing rather than closed lacing).

Sadly I like the look of the Oxford much more. The other reminds me too much of school shoes.

But your suggestion makes sense. I may give it a go.

Reaction score
Strive for both. In the event that you must choose only one, choose style - but don't concede so much comfort that you are in pain or that you can't do anything you normally would have done.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot of your posts now, DW, and my conclusion is that you appear to have more money than sense. If you have the cash to burn, as you appear to have, and you have an orthotic issue, why are you even buying multiple pairs of shoes off the shelf? And why are you even asking this question?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads