• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style References - Part 2

scjayhawk

Reaction score
What are your favorite classic movies for sartorial inspiration?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just saw 'it happened one night' again last night. you know, the frank capra classic, from 1934.

clark gable wore a fantastic suit, i thought. great jacket with a sewn-in waistband, a yoke, gathers under the yoke, and big expandable patch pockets on the front. almost like a safari jacket, in grey flannel. (well the movie was black and white, so i'll assume it was grey.) fit him like a glove.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In "Confidence" Edward Burns wears a really nice narrow trouser, thin v-neck sweater, and a collared shirt underneath (with the cuffs turned up) that I've been copying. In the original "Italian Job" Michael Caine has some beautiful suits with great shirt and tie combos. "Boiler Room" has a few looks I dig as well. Obviously "Thomas Crown Affair" (both the original and the remake), "Bullit," and "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" all have beautiful clothing in them. Didn't we have a thread similar to this a while ago?

A.

Jill

Reaction score
i just saw 'it happened one night' again last night. you know, the frank capra classic, from 1934. . .

Sartorial legend has it that this is the movie (Gable's character) which was responsible for introducing the idea of wearing a dress shirt withOUT an undershirt.  SCANDALOUS, I tell ya.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't a classic movie I suppose but in my early 20s -- early 1990s -- I was enamoured with Chariots of Fire to the point that I dressed like some of the young characters. Brideshead Revisited has also had quite an impact, not surprising since part of it took place at the same time in history I suppose.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ocean's Eleven had some great looks in it, although I don't follow any. I also love watching old Bond movies just to see what he's wearing. Oddly enough, the "English" look is starting to get popular here in Korea. I've seen several movie posters featuring chalk-striped suits with ticket pockets, high gorges, and much more fitted, uh, fit.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"To Catch A Thief".

Any Fred Astaire movie in color ("Barkleys of Broadway", "Royal Wedding", "Bandwagon").

Gary Cooper in "Love in the Afternoon". Robert Montgomery in "Piccadilly Jim (1936)". And Franchot Tone in movies whose titles I don't remember.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Great tailoring in The Maltese Falcon and Rope.

petescolari

Reaction score
I want the suit Cary Grant wears in North By Northwest. Always dapper, even when dodging crop dusters on Indiana farms.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want the suit Cary Grant wears in North By Northwest. Â Always dapper, even when dodging crop dusters on Indiana farms.
There is actually a bit of argument concerning this suit: some claim the suit Thornhill wears in Chicago and that whilst he's dodging the crop duster are different colors. Hitchcock denied such, but the "controversy" remains. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0053125/goofs Alas, too much time on my hands...again.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
edward robinson in Cincinatti Kid

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marcello Mastroianni in La Dolce Vita. Also some of the other characters are very well dressed.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was enamoured by the dress shirts cary grant wore in houseboat for some reason ..........

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Thomas Crown Affair, American Psycho, all the Bond movies, and the movie that the guy on the left starred in.

Panzer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads