• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style questions from an inexperienced 24 year old.

Idyllic

Reaction score
Hello.
First off, I've lurked here off and on for a while now, and I like this place. It seems most of you know what you're talking about at least.

Now, my problem. I haven't had style up to this point in my life. I wear either Levis with cowboy boots and tucked in button down shirts, or t-shirts and jeans. That's it.

I am thinking of beginning to work up to wearing suits every day, or most days at least. To take advantage of people's preconceptions concerning suits, and well, I just always feel better wearing a suit. I stand taller, and feel better.

I do have concerns though.

Will it help me, or alienate me from people? (I'm 24)
How much is dry cleaning going to cost, and how often should I use it?
Can I get away with this in college? I have yet to transfer to a school where I live on campus, although I believe I will be in less than a year.

I asked this on another forum recently and all it showed me was that opinions on this are highly polarized, and while some said "go for it," a lot said "that would be a little much."

I suppose I could compromise on the idea and just leave the coat and tie behind, and perhaps wear a waistcoat now and then?

Anyway, this is my first time actually asking people who are knowledgeable on the subject. Thanks for any input, I really feel like I'm working blind here, because I have no experience in style or fashion whatsoever. I'm ready to start looking nice for a change.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Don't wear a suit every day in college. It will mark you, in a bad way.

Dry cleaning should not be a big expense because you should not dry clean suits regularly. In fact, you should get them cleaned as infrequently as possible, only when they are stained or in desperate need of a good pressing.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Don't wear a suit every day in college. It will mark you, in a bad way.
+1. Please, go over to the streetwear forum and dress your age for a little while longer.

Idyllic

Reaction score
Alright, very good to know. I will bide my time on this one, and find a style more suited to my age and surroundings. Thanks guys, your input is greatly appreciated.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
+1. Please, go over to the streetwear forum and dress your age for a little while longer.
+Twosies Take advantage while you can, though you might age before you fully understand why.

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
It's all about context. If the environment does it - do it. But in collage its doubtfully. Buy a jacket (sports coat) instead and start from there. Maybe a knit tie some time. Dress your age. Try to fit in.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st step: ditch the jeans, wear chinos and nice casual leather shoes (chukkas, moccasins, etc.) with OCBDs and perhaps some nice sweaters, either vests or cableknits, shetlands, etc.

2nd step: Occasionally wear a nice pair of dress trousers and a sport coat (herringbone, corduroy, etc.) with a tie to step it up a notch.

Wearing a suit every day in college (unless you are the professor) will get you labeled a nut.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
1st step: ditch the jeans, wear chinos and nice casual leather shoes (chukkas, moccasins, etc.) with OCBDs and perhaps some nice sweaters, either vests or cableknits, shetlands, etc.

2nd step: Occasionally wear a nice pair of dress trousers and a sport coat (herringbone, corduroy, etc.) with a tie to step it up a notch.

Wearing a suit every day in college (unless you are the professor) will get you labeled a nut.

So will wearing a tie and sportcoat to class when you don't have a presentation. Also, never wearing jeans in college is downright weird.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Also, never wearing jeans in college is downright weird.

I never did, but I am wierd.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You may be underestimating yourself. Levis, cowboy boots, and a button-down can be extremely stylish--I wish I could pull off cowboy boots. I would worry less about adopting a new formula (like wearing a suit everyday) and start by learning how to wear a suit well when it's appropriate to wear one.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My father never owned a pair of jeans. He did have a western belt that he got from Wells Fargo for opening an account.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So will wearing a tie and sportcoat to class when you don't have a presentation. Also, never wearing jeans in college is downright weird.

I should have indicated that you wear a tie and sportcoat to a party or some such event, not to class.

And as with anything else, moderation and variety are key.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Case in point.
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads