• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Profile: Bertie Wooster

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a devoted fan of the brilliant BBC adaptation of P.G. Wodehouse's "Jeeves & Wooster", I thought it would be a boon for those SF members unfamilar with the show to have a look at what I consider the greatest costuming ever done for a television program.

Hugh Laurie (now in an entirely opposite role as Dr. House) made a splendidly buffoonish Wooster. His clothing was absolutely spectacular. It's very easy to admire the classic English gentleman style carried off so well by Wooster, always proper in both town and country attire. The following stills are from a single episode...more shots will be added in future postings.

Warm weather suiting
vlcsnap1708994jp2.png

On board the ship; navy DB blazer, blue repp tie, pinned collar.
vlcsnap1709525ox7.png

A smashing DB:
vlcsnap1711362ei8.png

Dark grey shooting jacket, complete with bellows pocket at chest:
vlcsnap1711942gl6.png

Mid-grey SB with peak lapels and a DB vest:
vlcsnap1712852ar6.png

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some more from a block of three episodes (similar costuming):

Splendid DB flannel:
vlcsnap1722018lr7.png

Silk dressing gown:
vlcsnap1722843ic1.png

Another shot of that great SB peak lapel grey number:
vlcsnap1724763xs1.png

I had trouble getting a good shot of this fellow, but I have to post the photo. He is very Astaire-esque. Note the spectators and discreet ascot. Fantastic.
vlcsnap1725397hr6.png

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only is Jeeves and Wooster available on DVD, but the 70s BBC series Wodehouse Playhouse is also now available for hardcore P.G. Wodehouse fans.

Hugh Laurie was also outstanding in the Black Adder series.

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
It's very easy to admire the classic English gentleman style carried off so well by Wooster, always proper in both town and country attire.

Easy to admire - yes - but those familiar with the television series and the books will recall the running theme that some aspect of Wooster's attire was frequently improper - to the dismay of Jeeves.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Connemara, thanks for posting the pic's. The actor in the ascot and spectators gave me an idea for an outfit. Who is the actor playing Jeeves, he's a rather big comedic actor in Britain, correct?

Originally Posted by saint
Hugh Laurie was also outstanding in the Black Adder series.
I love the skit with Byron, Keats, and Shelley discussing syphillis.

A.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
Connemara, thanks for posting the pic's. The actor in the ascot and spectators gave me an idea for an outfit. Who is the actor playing Jeeves, he's a rather big comedic actor in Britain, correct?
Stephen Fry. Also writes funny novels and columns.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Stephen Fry. Also writes funny novels and columns.

Who also was in Blackadder

"Potato?"
"No thanks, I don't"

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
Easy to admire - yes - but those familiar with the television series and the books will recall the running theme that some aspect of Wooster's attire was frequently improper - to the dismay of Jeeves.

This is quite true. In the episode those pictures were pulled from, Jeeves kept tut-tutting Bertie for wearing his "American hat"--a white wide-brimmed fedora.

Associate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
This is quite true. In the episode those pictures were pulled from, Jeeves kept tut-tutting Bertie for wearing his "American hat"--a white wide-brimmed fedora.

(Jeeves unpacking, holding the white hat with concerned expression): "Sir, I believe this item has somehow found its way into your wardrobe...

That's nothing compared with the one where Jeeves discovered monogrammed handkerchiefs in Wooster's closet (Jeeves: I thought practice was limited to those in danger of forgetting their own name...)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While very pleasing in aesthetics, the important thing to remember is that Jeeves & Wooster was intended, in the best British tradition, as a rather scathing depiction of the middle, and upper classes.

aarghh

Reaction score
There was an incident with spats, was there not? Lavender spats?

Psmith is my favorite Wodehouse character - I love his idea of communism - "Grab what you can, and sit on it".

He also makes reference to his trouser crease "being acquired by the mattress on which I tossed and turned all night long".

aarghh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
While very pleasing in aesthetics, the important thing to remember is that Jeeves & Wooster was intended, in the best British tradition, as a rather scathing depiction of the middle, and upper classes.

I don't know - Waugh was scathing (Vile Bodies). Wodehouse gave them a rather affectionate treatment.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aarghh
I don't know - Waugh was scathing (Vile Bodies). Wodehouse gave them a rather affectionate treatment.
While Wodehouse was affectionate his writing was not particularly complimentary.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

And that was the thrust of the genre, in general.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads