• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style-ophrenic

adam w.

Reaction score
I have a problem. I'm the kind of person that's always experimenting with different styles, trying to incorporate bits and pieces of certain aesthetics into my own personal style. I'm also the kind of person who makes some fairly impulsive purchases. The problem with this is that I've developed a wardrobe with a ton of individual pieces that I really like, but that isn't very cohesive at all, which is what I want. For example, I'm something of a casual sneaker head, and I particularly love the Nike Air Max 90. But the shoe just does not work with a good four-fifths of the rest of my wardrobe. Does anyone else have this problem, too? Do you even attempt to consolidate all your different tastes into a more unified style? Is there even a point in trying?

Just curious as to what people think about this.

Ott

Reaction score
I definitely used to have this problem, but as time's gone on I've narrowed my style a bit and most of my new stuff tends to be of the same aesthetic.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
You just described me when I was younger. I would buy the most random pieces just because I liked them and not give it any additional thought as to its compatibily with the rest of my wardrobe. The stuff would accumulate and because they were impulsive purchases I regretted buying most of it. I ended up with a closet full of things that were cool on their own but never together or cohesively as you describe.

What I've been doing is thinking my purchases through and the first thing I ask myself is whether or not I will actually get some use of what I'm buying. Secondly I see how it fits into my wardrobe and what existing pieces it can work with and how well. I think about textures and colors as well. However, I'd say the most important thing I do is the reverse of this. I look at what I need and go out keeping an eye out for those things. That is the best method of filtering out all of the excessive nonsense and getting the most practicality/utility out of shopping. For me, everything is built from the ground up so order of importance is shoes>bottoms>tops.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a very interesting subject, a reason some people hire professionals to look at their wardrobes.

The first steps are to get rid of (or move out of rotation) items you won't wear and organize the clothes according to season and situation (Home Casual versus more formal, for example).

Yes, color and texture are two elements useful for determining what can be worn with that. Fit helps, too (no tight with baggy, for example). Scheduling can be used. For instance, polo shirts only two days of the week, silk once per week.

Also, you have to consider the impression you're making and whether it positively reflects your personality. There's a fine line between creative and random.

Finally, of course it's a good idea to become more disciplined in your shopping habits.

gza

Reaction score
I actually just made a spreadsheet of all my clothing items, grouped by style/setting. It made me realize I have most areas covered pretty damn well, which is a welcome change in perspective after voraciously reading these forums (and seeing or hearing about all the stuff I'm "lacking"). We'll see if it'll help curb my spending habits.

As for stylistic diversity and experimentation, I'm all for it. Of course, being a tall, slim white guy means almost all styles are at least somewhat "accessible" to me. The only things I stay away from are punk/glam/rocker stuff, which just isn't me (but that saves me a lot of money not chasing Dior Homme, etc.).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I started off having a clear focus on *my* style, then went thru the 'openminded' phase of trying different stuff, and now I'm back to having a clear focus again, which it turns out is my originally focused style.

It's good to try new things, it gives you a better sense of who you really are, sartorially speaking.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Scheduling can be used. For instance, polo shirts only two days of the week, silk once per week.

I wear polo shirts when I'm playing polo (which is never).

And silk shirts when my business takes me back to the set of a '70s Appreciation film (which is...er...sometimes).

manifest v

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gza
I actually just made a spreadsheet of all my clothing items, grouped by style/setting. It made me realize I have most areas covered pretty damn well, which is a welcome change in perspective after voraciously reading these forums (and seeing or hearing about all the stuff I'm "lacking"). We'll see if it'll help curb my spending habits.

I wonder what this spreadsheet looks like? Maybe we could all create a "definitive" SF checklist for clothing items?

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
I have been doing the same thing recently... I even realize that it's happening, but I haven't stopped yet. I think (in my case anyway) it's a sort of fashion immaturity. I only recently started caring about the way I look, and so I've been trying everything trying to see what works for me. I don't really know yet what kind of overall "look" I want to have, only that I want it to be distinctive and interesting...
For now, it's a hassle to have a million cool things that don't look good together, but it's not costing me too much money (thrift stores ahoy!) and I'm learning.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find a lot of my clothing items aren't too far from any kind of extreme style, that they work well together to form a 'style'.

A single pair of jeans can be worn in multitudes of different styles depending on the shoes/tops I wear.

In streetwear, mixing and matching contrasting styles can oftentimes produce quite cohesive results.

ArtisticShowcase

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I buy pieces of clothing that would look great with one or two other existing items in my closet, except, they are usual not versatile enough to wear with anything else but those one or two items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads