• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style in the Family

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who wants to answer some esoteric questions? Like it or not, here they are, in part because formal research has neglected the subject.

To some degree, is your sense of style a reaction to the style, or lack of style, in your family of origin? Leaving aside children's style, how do, or did, your family members dress? What about competition between siblings? Have you noticed any connection between "genetic gifts" and effort or sociability and effort? Do similarities in style reflect close ties or similarity in personality? Before anyone makes his own note of it, some extra similarity is likely due to choices based on similar coloring or other physical characteristics.

Thanks for your answers.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a little bit. My dad buys some nicer stuff and lets me use it on occasion. I realized just how nice the stuff was (stuff like AE shoes, some good ties, etc) and really started to get into it. I can't remember how I came across this site but I joined right off.

As for our tastes in clothing, I certainly like more formal stuff than he does. I never wear shorts in public, and I always wear a button-down shirt and khakis to school every day. My dad says he would much rather go with a t-shirt and shorts, but that is his opinion on it. I just feel better about myself and my attitude when I know I look good.

JB

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To some degree, is your sense of style a reaction to the style, or lack of style, in your family of origin?
Both. The men in my family don't care much about clothes, the arts, interior design, etc. Most of them are doctors; they can afford to dress well, but they don't. They don't place a high importance on garments, or personal appearance. I'd say their wives do most of their shopping.
Many of the women in my family, are very, very stylish. My mother was very chic. My sister is very chic. A number of my female cousins, too. This goes back to my grandmother's generation. Same with my female relatives, in Athens. Very style conscious. Very vain. Also, there's a preponderance of women in my family. Which for me, meant watching and learning. If I've picked up anything about style or color, or what it means to be well dressed, it's from the women in my family.

What about competition between siblings?
None. But the women in my family, most definitely competed against each other. They still do.

Have you noticed any connection between "genetic gifts" and effort or sociability and effort?
That question, I don't understand.

Do similarities in style reflect close ties or similarity in personality?
In my case, yes.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone in my family has a unique style, that I think reflects their age, friends, and environments. I really like the way that my sisters dress, very funky and chic. The guys, not so much. My oldest brother (30's) wears a lot of designer labels, but I dont really like his fits all that much, and find his clothes a little generic.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I used to not care at all about what I wore, I only cared if it was comfortable. When I got in shape and became sexy, that's when I decided what I wore should always flatter me.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Genetic gifts" - having a good face or a natural v-shape, for example.

Sociability - being an outgoing person, quite possibly someone who cares more about presentation than an introvert.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nobody in my family has any style. My father used to have canvassed suits when I was too young to remember how he dressed, but when our house got cleaned-out and insurance refused to pay, he never rebought. It wasn't an influence. I didn't start dressing the way I did until I was out of the house, and it was an evolution that went from skater clothes->gap-> macy's/bloomingdales->armani->bespoke/high-end rtw. Everyone thinks I'm crazy.

My brother emulates me to a certain degree. He wants to use my shirt-maker for instance, but he doesn't have the cash for it yet, even though he loves my clothes.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the exception of my uncle (a doctor), my family never really had any style. So I guess it was a necessity that my brother and I both developed some.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Mom: Etro, Ralph Lauren, Ports 1961, Tory Burch
Easy, comfortable, practical and also a touch of flair (aka TB and Etro)

Dad: YSL, Louis Vuitton, Dior Homme, Cloak, John Varvatos
Progression goes from his going out to dinner/evening wear to just day to day "work wear"

Sister: Designer bags/shoes; but, content with contemporary/diffusion brands.
She's happy with some jeans and a cute top; but, must have every Manolo in the store. She'll buy designer evening/special occasion though.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Sister's 21st Birthday:

Dad in Louis Vuitton suit, Sister in Dolce & Gabbana skirt/top
dadsister.jpg

Myself in Kris Van Assche and Lanvin, Mother in Etro
memom.jpg

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone admit to dressing better than the family of origin in order to climb the social ladder?

Also, are there relatives you grew up with, such as your parents or a much-older sibling, whose style gave you a misleading idea of their personality? That would suggest a relationship that wasn't close, of course.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody in my family has ever really had money, or style. It seems like we always had bigger problems than what to wear.

I'm trying to dress better to climb the social ladder I suppose. I'm more educated than others in my family, and my intended profession requires at least some level of business attire (more often than not, business casual than conservative business dress). I also no longer live in what was pretty much a hick town, so non-work/social attire matters as well; though not to the same extent that an individual living in LA or NYC would require.

Pim

Reaction score
My dad didn't care at all what he was wearing so he was kind of my mothers personal doll she could dress-up
wink.gif
. Times have changed since she first mentioned a mtm suit...

Mensimageconsultant, I think that better clothes come naturally when you are climing the social ladded, if you are young and care a little bit about the clothes you wear...

Mustapha

Reaction score
Dad and Gramps were quite natty in the 50s/60s. Dad Sinatra-esque. Gramps dressed like Eisenhower on the golf course. Both being working men; the quality wasn't there but the neatness was - fresh pressed shirts daily - for Gramps, another change in the late afternoon. This impressed me but not enough to emulate. I dressed for comfort until a life event turned me into a gym rat a few years ago. I sought out sleeker better fitting clothes for the new bod :>) and thought about how this shirt went with that pant, etc.

So, I would say the style cues of my family didn't have any influence.

Dressing a bit better has unfortunately brought out a uncharitably critical side of me. Extended relations by marriage include a fair share of eccentrics - white sock/cheap suit, belt AND suspender men and one who uses the tshirt pocket for carrying a water bottle. They say people of similar appearance socialize together; I find myself steering clear of these people at family functions. I will probably go to H**l for this.

My younger son, who attracts women and socializes easily, has an inate good sense of style. My older son not so much in these matters.

So, I would say that sense of style is 'hardwired' to an extent.

-Moose

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads