• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style in China - Now how about this!

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
I think that the style and mode of dressing for ladies and gentlemen during the Ming Guo Shi Dai {Republican Era} of the '20s and '30s, particularly in Old Shanghai, are deserving of great admiration, and emulation, in our time.

These snaps are from the iconic Chinese serial Shanghai Tan - a mob drama no less!

Enjoy...

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks just the same as the 20s and 30s every where else in the Moneyed Western World.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Not true. Note the tasteful use of fur, and the deft blending of the Western overcoat with the Qipao for the ladies.

And let us not forget that China then was embroiled in Civil War and the barbaric invasions of foreign powers. China then was not a "moneyed [sic] Western power".

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great, another wardrobe-whoring manifesto masquerading as a movie.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
I ain't clicking all that. Please embed the pics.

plain.gif

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ~ B ~
Note the tasteful use of fur...China then was not a "moneyed [sic] Western power".
If you look at any fashion plates from the 20s and 30s Western world you'll notice the same "tasteful use". And indeed, perhaps it was not, but its few moneyed and those in society certainly emulated the West.

aldica

Reaction score
I saw that movie, and I agree. However, after being married to a Chinese for some time, I will tell you that I suspect that there were very few people who dressed that well (even then).

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ~ B ~
Not true. Note the tasteful use of fur, and the deft blending of the Western overcoat with the Qipao for the ladies. And let us not forget that China then was embroiled in Civil War and the barbaric invasions of foreign powers. China then was not a "moneyed [sic] Western power".
Well, it was exactly as it is now: A very small number of super-rich who couldn't give a monkeys except for the recession, and a huge number of those barely making a living.

rsgould

Reaction score
Please refer to Tony Leung in 2046. 1960s Hong Kong style=unbeatable.

18382844.jpg

tonyleung.jpg

Couldn't find any better screenshots online. Get the DVD.

lizmasc

Reaction score
It seems a nice style, it isn't particularly similar to the 20s and 30s of the western world though it does kind of hints a bit of it, though not much. As far as only the elite would wear it, it was probably so, but nowadays, not many people are rich or can afford dressing very nicely or even bothering to look that good so it's not like there is much of a difference now (we on this forum probably do but we're almost like an elite)
rimshot.gif
smiley2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads