1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Style icons.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Oct 22, 2003.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hello all,

Since this is a style forum it would seem apropos that one would would have icons of style or chic.

Now what are the members' personal mentors, indirect or direct, that they look up for influences, et al?

Having said this perhaps I should share. Mine are the Duke of Windsor, Walter Albini, David Rothschild, Vivienne Westwood, Anna Piaggi, Noel Coward, and Fred Astaire. These are just some though.

2. Boulevardier

Boulevardier Active Member

A great idea Label King.Some marvelous style mentors you have too.
    I would like to add ,Patrick MacNee who played john Steed on the original 'Avengers' series from the Sixties ,now seen in reruns..........Somewhere???I forget where I saw them.No matter.
    Did you include Gary Cooper? Adolphe Menjou?

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

Cary Grant. For me he is first among equals.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The young Marlon Brando, James Dean, Steve McQueen.

5. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

James dean, Patrick Bateman, and finally.... Don Johnson in Miami Vice baby.

6. Sartoria

Sartoria Member

Alain Delon, Gianni Agnelli, The Duke of Windsor, just to mention a few...

7. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

when i was about 14 i saw the film "la dolce vita." marcello mastroianni plays a paparazzo in rome during the early '60s. he parties with the jet set wearing a suit and tie, sunglasses at night, and he drives a roadster. i thought "that's it, that's me when i grow up." since then, i've chosen not to wear ties except when i have to, and i don't wear sunglasses period. i do, however, wear a suit every chance i get, and it bothers me that people think of suits as business wear. they look good almost anywhere. i think my style sort of came out of watching that film. [​IMG]

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hello again.

Those are all quite nice style mentors. And yes I do find Adolphe Menjou, and Cary Grant quite the icons but not so much as the ones I have mentioned for myself. Just my opinion though.

I should also not leave out Umberto Angeloni, James Joyce and I think that Cecil Beaton had a rather unique personal style as well. Also prompted by Matador's post I remember seeing a picture of Alberto Giacometti with one of his scupltures. He was wearing a beautiful doublecuffed shirt with fabulous cuffs.

9. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Most of the above.  Plus Prince Charles - always sharp.  And the young Sinatra.

Hey, does anybody remember my first influence, Ted Dawson?  In the 1970's Mr. Dawson was the ubiquitous "middle aged" model and often featured in GQ.  Wavy blonde hair but very masculine.  I remember thinking:  "When I get to that age, I'll never look as good as that guy."  I was correct.

10. Eric

Eric Senior member

Puff Daddy, Humphrey Bogart, and myself.

Eric

11. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Clyfford Still (a 50s American artist), Betsey Johnson, Bahaus art and design???

And to a lesser extent... James Bond. I dream of cufflinks with small explosives or built in digital cameras

12. masterfred

masterfred Well-Known Member

The incomparable Fred Astaire, Clifton Webb, the perennial royal favorite Dook o' Windsor, Cary Grant, Cecil Beaton, George Sanders..............

13. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Alain Delon
    Charles Boyer
    William Holden
    Spencer Tracey
    Bogie
    Oscar Wilde
    Fred Astaire
    Cary Grant
    Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli
    Horowitz (even though I never wear bow ties)

14. Mike

Mike Senior member

Movies made from the 30's to the early 60's, before the counterculture revolution. I guess the main ones frfom this period are my major influences- Bogie, especially in "The Big Sleep," Cary Grant, in practically everything he did, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. There are too many more to mention and I find new ones everytime I watch TCM or AMC.

I also have to say my grandfather, mainly from pictures from this same period. He always tried to dress well when he left the house. He always wore a snap brim hat, like my previously stated icon, Frank. I still love those hats and have been trying to find one for a reasonable price for some time now.

I also have to agree with the guy who said Miami Vice. Many were the days when I was a senior in high school 3 years ago where we tried to immulate Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs. It usually didn't work too well, but me and my buddy always got some sort of comment. There's always a little room for a little flash.

15. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Luciano Barbera and Fred Astaire.

16. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

Agree with most fo the above but cannot believe no one has mentioned Fellini's muse Marcello Mastroanni (sic?), Truffaut's + Godard's muse Jean-Paul Belmondo, and Gregory Peck

17. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Frank Sinatra - I definitely want to wear fedoras as often as I can when I'm older.

Tom Cruise - he just strikes me as a stylish guy.

Brad Pitt - he has the best casual looks I've ever seen.

18. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

My style icons vary tremendously - there are days when I want to be James Bond and days I want to be Jimmy Buffett.

Here though would be my top influences:

Cary Grant: To my mind, the epitome of a gentleman. Always properly dressed, always completely appropriate.

James Bond: The look to emulate anytime one must wear a tuxedo and the attitude to emulate at all times, i.e. anything that needs to be done is best done with style."

Lawrence Kudlow: Best dressed man on cable television. The perfect old-school, political insider, Wall Street look. Not over the top like a Gordon Gekko, but understated, clubby and very well put together.

Kevin Costner: To me, Costner is the archetype of the modern American male. From the unconstructed lines of his modern American athletes (Tin Cup, Bull Durham, For Love of the Game) to his other looks (fighter pilot, Revenge; boat builder, Message in a Bottle; or farmer, Field of Dreams) Costner has put together a body of work that shows how to be casual, yet stylish.

Bradford

19. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

20. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

LK is my style icon