• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style icon

Brian SD

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been covered before. Who are your style icons? Explanations wouldn't hurt either. The only one whose style I consistently idolize is Wayne Coyne. His outfits (neutral colored slim but not tight suit and light shirt with no tie, white, pink or otherwise) always just look very subtle and have a very comforting look. I figure when I get a little older I can start dressing like this. When wearing suits I rarely wear a tie (but I never really have to wear one anyway, so oh well). His outfits perfectly compliment his personality and his songwriting - friendly, loose, tranquil, mature and utopian. It's so simple and perfect. Pictures:
flaminglips1.jpg
2002LMMTFL_10.jpg
flaminglips_1.jpg

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve McQueen. He looked great dressed up (Thomas Crown) or dressed down (Great Escape). Â He was the ultimate in American cool, both on and off the screen. Â Â Â Â He lived with great style. Â He drove fast cars, and drove them with great skill (take note James Dean fans.) Â He took huge risks with his career, and brought a calm, charismatic presence to every role he played.
10042104.jpg
 Â
039_35378.jpg
039_23630.jpg
039_35374.jpg

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh drool, i can tell this is going to be an all-time classic thread. these pics are great. ...gonna go searching now...

/andrew <- realizes: he haaaas the mooost...beauuuutiful faaaace...

Mitch D

Reaction score
Without a doubt,Paul Reubens. There's just something very Astaireque about his sense of grace in a suit...
wink.gif
1a.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2642.jpg
What do you think, Kiton or Brioni?
tounge.gif
Marilyan Manson unlike many people actually has a way with suits. And various period attire. But then his girlfriend is Dita Von Teese who also has a way with fairly odd vintage wear.

CharlieZircon

Reaction score
David Bowie Ultimate chameleon reinvented into style icon.
gqjan9701.jpg
david%20bowie%20-%20david%20brighton.jpg
ziggy1973.jpg
090904.JPG

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent choices, LabelKing. Several seemingly eclectic choices, exactly what I'd expect from you.

Also, Kai, you hit it right on the nose with McQueen.

And last, Charlie, Bowie is great. I'm always intrigued by his style - something that really fits him and his personality without looking like he's trying too hard, but nothing I could ever really pull off.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never really had a style icon per se. Â But, I've always admired the way Yul Brynner carried himself (thus rendering what he wore secondary), and in some movies (like "Anastacia") was dressed so elegantly - btw. check out the darts on his shirts in that movie.
brynn10.jpg

JohnMS

Reaction score
I've always like William Powell's look in the Thin Man series.
Powell3.jpg
Powell2.jpg

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hope this isn't too many pix:
Andy_Warhol_Mudd.jpg
Andy_Warhol_Hugo.jpg
Andy_Warhol_Brandt.jpg
andy%20warhol%20skates_std.jpg
mudd_club_combat_warhol_std.jpg
Warhol.jpg
gh684.jpg
...and for good measure, a portrait of agnelli:
agnelli_gianni_andy_warhol_244x279.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads