• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Guru - where to spend

kidtwist91

Reaction score
Hey guys...

Im sitting on 700 dollars worth of gift cards (AMEX) that i have to spend or I will start being charged. I am about to graduate college and I dont really have an extensive wardrobe and I am wondering what I should buy. I like to think that I have a smart/casual style and i want to see what suggestions style enthusiasts such as yourselves have.

Basics
Im 6'4 210 lbs.
I have the basics... some light jeans, tons of dress shirts, a leather 3/4 jacket, a suit, a very traditional blazer with brass buttons, a couple sweaters (v, crew, zip up) some green otsinuka tigers, a pair of khakis and some solid J-crew polos.

What I think I need:

I have old white shoes that look grungy (reebok classics i bought in 2000) Im thinking i need to replace these (adidas?) any other shoe ideas?

a fitted blazer in the 200-300 dollar range to wear with jeans when i go out on the town.

Dark wash jeans (my darkest jeans are indigo)

What thought do you have concerning the above ideas, and what other items do you guys think I could use? I appreciate all responses and would really love specific recommendations. (keep in mind that my size is an Large Tall (LT) and that i have to do most of my shopping online.

Thanks to all of you.

-KT

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From your post, it seems that you only have one pair of 8 year-old sneakers. Even if this isn't the case, you could easily spend the whole amount on shoes.

Good boots are essential. Depending on your look, you could get some Chelseas or maybe some lace-up work or motorcycle boots.

A good pair of dress shoes could come in handy.

Also, some classic sneakers - look at the original models by brands like Adidas and Converse, or if you want less common ones, try Le Coq Sportif.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like you could start on a nice pair of dress shoes, for the workplace once you graduate.

other than that, why don't you search around the forum for what you like? a useful place to start would be the waywt thread, find something you like, and THEN ask for specific advice on prices, places, sizing, etc.

this topic is waaaayyyy too broad to give proper advice, as evidenced by similar previous threads.

Elegantly Defined

Reaction score
I'm in the same position my friend but I believe I'm going to blow mine pretty fast. I would say buy a pair of ACICS for jogging/working out or just to wear around. They're very comfortable and stylish as well.

I would also invest in a nice pair of jeans...the chicks will notice your jeans and see that you have a sense of taste.

I'm not sure if it's your style....but I recently just purchased some stuff online by Vineyard Vines. What school are you going to?

kakemono

Reaction score
Get a peacoat and some raw jeans. The raw will ensure they are dark-dark. Shoes to wear with jeans.

what look are you going for? look in the waywt thread... there are quite a bit of different distinct styles going on

crush

Reaction score
i`d definitely look at a pair of raw jeans made of real good(read:japanese) denim aswell as some sturdy leather shoes for everyday wear(Whites, Red Wing, Alden etc.)
for the sneakers take a look at jack purcells

Karo

Reaction score
700 bones is a new chunk of money, but its probably only enough to get a pair(s) of decent shoes and maybe a jacket, depending on where you live. (i.e. I wouldn't recommend blowing all the money on a nice jacket if you live in desert climate)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads