1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Style Forum club tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Nov 26, 2004.

1. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

I do not work as a lawyer. Having said that, I spend a decent part of my free time volunteering for various charitable causes. I get no publicity.

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's very nice of you to volunteer others to provide their services for free. In case you hadn't noticed, Jonathan and Chuck, the tie merchants who post here, are Contributing Members, which means that they have donated money to keep this site going and which is more than I can say for you. Whatever publicity they have gotten from participating here, they have more than paid for it, both with their money and with their contributions to the discussions on this forum.

3. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

It's very nice of you to volunteer others to provide their services for free. In case you hadn't noticed, Jonathan and Chuck, the tie merchants who post here, are Contributing Members, which means that they have donated money to keep this site going and which is more than I can say for you. Whatever publicity they have gotten from participating here, they have more than paid for it, both with their money and with their contributions to the discussions on this forum.
    I didn't volunteer their services. Hell, I know exactly where to go to have these things made. I'm not about to volunteer my services, either. If I did, I'd do it for no profit, but I think that this is a horrible idea.

4. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

If, if, if. Conjectural beneficence is remarkably risk-free, isn't it?

5. uriahheep

uriahheep Senior member

It is.

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Anyone have a web site that translates lawyer-speak? [​IMG]

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Sorry, Steve.

But having recently received Carlo Franco's red paisley tie, I might venture to guess that the colors in that tie were inspired by the Styleforum's color scheme. So, perhaps (1) J. could sue Chuck for some of the profits of the tie, and (2) we could make that tie the official Forum tie.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

Is this true, Chuck? I have patented and trademarked the Pantone colors for this site (including #FFFFFF pure white) so any use of either of them in a product is grounds for a trademark infringement lawsuit. We might be able to settle out of court for a narrow black or dark purple seven-fold, though. [​IMG]

9. stripes22

stripes22 Member

What a fun thread to read. How did I miss this?

A think a tasteful good quality tie, with the humourus 'club' idea is brilliantly fun.

Reminds me, however, of a professional society tie that was given to me--it was polyester. Then there were the silk ties with drawings of parasites and virus on them. Hmmm. I've never wore them.

10. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior member

It'd be much cheaper and simpler to have a secret handshake.

Or tie knot.

11. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I have the red paisley as well. It's gorgeous. A bit dressy for daily wear, but certainly worthy of a look. It is nicer in person than in the photos...

12. StreetLaw

StreetLaw Well-Known Member

I love 1Dgaf's idea of having a club knot.

You can wear anything you'd like, but you'll be instantly recognized as in-the-know because of the way you tie your tie.

Brilliant.

13. RoyalPaJamas

RoyalPaJamas Senior member

Whatever became of this idea for a SF club tie?

14. xpress

xpress Senior member

Yeah really... I want one!

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

16. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

17. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Sorry I didn't read every page of this. Can there be a poll thread on this?
    Tie | Cuflinks | Pocket Square | Tie Clip | Money Clip | SF Striped Socks | Belt Buckle | Lapel Pin | All

Were it a poll, I would vote for & buy [all], giving me options on when & how I show my allegiance.

18. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I think it would be really cool to have a Style Forum repp tie.

The problem is coming to a consensus in a forum environment. It would be best to have a small number of forum members (probably 5), that know ties very well, to determine the design (or 2) to present to the membership.

Perhaps we could use this thread to elect the SF Tie Board. There are plenty of members that know a lot more about clothing than I do (I'm more of a shoe guy), so I hesitate to suggest who might be best suited (pun intended) for the job.

19. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I think it would be really cool to have a Style Forum repp tie.

The problem is coming to a consensus in a forum environment. It would be best to have a small number of forum members (probably 5), that know ties very well, to determine the design (or 2) to present to the membership.

Perhaps we could use this thread to elect the SF Tie Board. There are plenty of members that know a lot more about clothing than I do (I'm more of a shoe guy), so I hesitate to suggest who might be best suited (pun intended) for the job.

Contest? [​IMG]

20. overdog

overdog Senior member

How about a repp tie with a grayish-blue background and red and black stripes, so that it looks like this forum.