Style Forum club tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Nov 26, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, i'll go first:

I'd buy a tie if it cost less than $100 (assuming it was 7 fold, etc)
    I'd buy a pocket square if it cost less than $40 (hand rolled, etc)
    I'd buy cuff links if they cost less than $50

2. PHV

PHV Senior member

(montecristo#4 @ 02 Dec. 2004, 7:20) How about a blue pocket square. Just like the Crips except in Italian silk.
    Oh, now we're talking. Someone needs to come up with our 'gang sign' too, so we can represent if we spot each other on the street. Will Andy's color be different, and then we can have 'Vespa-by' shootings in a war for forum turf? New members will be 'jumped in' by having their most cherished garment viciously attacked with shoe polish, red wine, and mustard. And the West Side can give 'big ups' by tucking their left trouser leg into their Pantherellas.
    And it must be cheap, chain store mustard.

3. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Tie: $50. Assuming we are getting a wholesale price and not retail, this should be able to get us a top of the line tie.

Cufflinks: $50. I don't know too much about prices for this as I generally don't wear cufflinks. But I think this is much as I'd be willing to pay.

Pocket square: $10.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I was just thinking about the "pocket square", and had an idea. I was thinking, "I wouldn't buy a silk pocket square, because I'd never use it." But what would be excellent and what I would use, would be a white Irish linen handkerchief (front pocket size) with SF red piping hand rolled round the edges. What do you think?

5. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior member

Tie: $60
    Cufflinks:$50

for my Costings. I think those prices are enough to pay.

Stuarts8

6. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I'm considering stepping up to a tie from FIH or Chuck anyway, so I'd pay their prices for really top-notch quality. So much the better if they were to decide in a fit of stupidity to forego the profit on this particular tie.

I like the idea of the irish linen square with red piping, but couldn't begin to guess at a price point.

I'd pay $50 for links, but I can't for the life of me think of a design that would both incorporate the SF and not be hideous. Maybe something in plain red, but that's not too exciting, or unique.

Tom

7. j

I don't want any of these to incorporate an SF "logo" (there isn't one, anyway). Let's get some ideas going on the designs for the cufflinks. Sterling? Enamel?

Personally, I'd like if they were the chained-together type (not the ones that look like they used a Swingline staple to make the chain, though) or the connected-by-solid-bar type. No toggles, please, I have enough of those and I don't like them much.

8. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

I am afraid that I would not be interested in a Style Forum tie or pocket square if it had the initials "SF" anywhere on it. This is no reflection on what I think of the forum or its members, just that "SF" has rather unfortunate and nasty political and terrorism connotations here in the UK.

If an appropriate logo or symbol could be agreed, or a simple colour scheme then I would of course be interested.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I wouldn't be interested in a tie/pocket square with a logo either.

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I would buy a tie, if it cost at most $ 70.00
    I would buy cufflinks, if they cost at most $ 50.00
    I would buy a "pocket square", if it cost at most $ 40.00

It should be noted that that would be more than I've ever paid for a tie or square. I'm guessing new, genuine sterling links would be out of popular range. I like the idea of sf links with no toggle/switch.

I do really like the idea of an Irish linen square with red/crimson edges. Not just for Styleforum reference, it just sounds like it would be very versatile.

Is there such a thing as a linen square with silk piping/edges?

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I think this is a jim-dandy idea, and that's coming from someone whose collection of ties (numbering more than 250), includes exactly two produced after 1960.

Tie: $80 (I just hope it's not too long; some of us wear our trousers at the natural waist or even slightly above)
    Pocket Square: $50
    Cuff Links: wouldn't do it; for some reason, this seems the least subtle of the three options; my experience is that people tend to notice and point out cuff links more.

12. j

It came to me in a flash- Style Forum Members Only jackets. Uh, nevermind. I agree, no initials except one's own should be on anything. No logos, no initials. So, what would you like to see? Deep red and white are the colors of the forum, I guess; since I've never bothered to change them, it's too late now. But that's fine with me. I think the items could incorporate that scheme or at least the red color.

13. j

Some people are hoping it's not too short. I wonder how hard it would be to make a "regular-shortish" version and a long version.

I'm hoping they won't be something you would feel compelled to explain, rather just an interesting pair of cufflinks that has a bit of backstory to them. I wouldn't go around wearing logoed cufflinks either.

14. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

The forum colour scheme is fine by me, it will match the lining of my new suit. (Clarke and Dawe colour scheme.)

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Heh... didn't even think about that.

(...listens to U2, builds a car bomb)