1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Style Forum club tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Nov 26, 2004.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

i am in.

since the fourm's color scheme is based on dark red, .. why do not we choose textured dark red silk fabric for the tie?

2. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

That could be indeed a very nice colour.

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

Just for the sake of adding to the possibilities, I'll throw out a suggestion for a "bottle green" tie. I'm sure those who have been around enough know the deal on that one, plus green's my favorite color, and IMHO more appealing than a simple red.

4. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior Member

(MilanoStyle @ 26 Nov. 2004, 8:36) i am in. since the fourm's color scheme is based on dark red, .. why do not we choose textured dark red silk fabric for the tie?
    That could be indeed a very nice colour.
    How about a self-striping silk red tie, 7-fold of course. Preferably in a darker red color no doubt. I think bar width of 1/2" to 9/16" would be nice with the stripes running from up on the left side down to the right side.

5. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Why don't members submit their ideas here, by making a simple tie design using MS Paint or a similar program. Also, describe whether the pattern is matte or shiny. We could get a consensus going of the best 8 or 10 patterns posted, then create a poll for registered users to narrow it down to top 3, then vote on those three to find the winner. How does that sound?

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

That's about what I was expecting. And/or, find a picture of a tie similar to your suggestions and post the link, noting any suggested modifications.

7. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior Member

[​IMG] Something on the lines of this. I would narrow the border lines though. See how there is a fine line between the border line. I would use only one side of it as the thickness of the border line. This tie appears to be decently shiny but I have always preferred a nice sheen on my ties.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

Count me in -- assuming I like the tie of course :) I rather like HitMan009's example.

A marvelous idea.

9. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

If I can reiterate my suggestion: I think we should (in a perfect world) try to decide on a criteria/design objectives for the tie and work out the details at later stages.

I'll make a stab at it..

1) Something that looks good, but preferably timeless
    2) Something that can be worn by all age groups
    3) Easily recognizable (it's a secret handshake after all)
    4) Top quality
    5) Cooperative color scheme: Goes well with white and medium/light blue shirts

I like the repp idea. It has many of these qualities, if done right. The only downside is that it has to have a number of colors, and each color has to be timeless. This also makes it difficult to coordinate with patterned shirts.

Let's follow this through.

B

10. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior Member

Would this be expensive? It'd be ironic if it was, considering how much we like bargains.

Would the money go to funding the site? Also, would one have to be a member of the forum to buy, or could lurkers buy too? Would there be a minimum number of posts someone would need to buy it?

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I like something along the lines of this: [​IMG] the similarity with ernest's cufflinks is completely unintentional.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Since the suggestion was made for a grenadine, how about a patterned/striped grenadine? That's certainly something not commonly seen although Polo currently has offerings..

13. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

I'd like Drizzt's two stripe tie (but navy/burgundy) or a solid dark burgundy grenadine. Or even a bottle green grenadine.That would probably go with both a medium gray suit and a navy blazer, which would be common to most forum members. You might need a poll (not only for design choice but also to determine level of interest). I'd also suggest pre-orders, to avoid unsold inventory unless the supplier has other outlets. Alternatively, to avoid 100 or so individual differing posts, you might solicit a couple of the more respected and active members to narrow down the poll selections (just for two examples, Manton and A Harris, but Andrew I bet would select a bottle green ). Great excuse to buy another tie. Â [​IMG]

14. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

OMG. Y'all MUST be kidding. I was under the impression that this forum was embarked upon a serious discussion of gentlemens' style - albeit with an appropriate injection of humor and an occasional troll-bashing. If this thread is for real, let me add a few suggestions of my own: 1] In my art school, I teach the hand-making of (hopefully) stunning dichroic glass cufflinks. With a bit of design work, we could find a way to embed the SF logo into the glass. 2] As you probably know, I am a Zimmerli distributor. If enough members were interested, I could have Zimmerli do a private label run where the waistband of the briefs read 'Style Forum' instead of 'Zimmerli'. Why, we could even have the waistband woven in a grenadine (or bottle green) rep pattern. 3] Finally, referring back to the 'Where do you keep your collar stays' thread of a couple months back, how 'bout this: We could have bottle green Tupperware containers custom-made with grenadine colored rep-striped lids and individual sections for various length collar stays. I'll say it again - with no apologies for my wet-blanketedness: This Billionaire Boys Club thing has gone too far. You MUST be kidding.

15. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

Can Chuck get us some collar stays in bottle green MOP? [​IMG]