Style Forum club tie

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Nov 26, 2004.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

What would you think about us collectively commissioning one of our dear tie manufacturers to make a style forum club tie, or even to make an annual style forum tie, preferably at a discounted rate due to the number of forum members?

Would you be interested? If we got enough people together, perhaps Chuck would do a special on a 7-fold for us all? Thoughts?

2. Dutch Master

Dutch Master Active Member

As a recent member of The Styleforum and a designer, I think it would be a great idea. I have sources in Como Italy and can manufacture either in Italy or domestically. If members create a consensus about design, amount to be ordered and price, I am more than happy to make the product available at a good price. If the membership deems it appropriate for us to proceed, please let me know.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Actually I like that idea a lot. It's better than club t-shirts, that's for sure. The tie would have to be 7-fold and self tipped, of course.

Jon.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hey Dutch master, where in Florida are you located?

Jon.

5. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Excelent idea . This would be our secret hand-shake [​IMG] I would certanly buy one, especially if it happened to go with a medium/light blue dress shirt. Can we decide on a criteria for our club tie ? Bjorn

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'd be interested as well, how about a repp/regimental style tie? [​IMG]

7. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

That's a great idea but one minor problem? Will there be a way to make it work with all complexions? High contrast: Sharp, bold defined colors work for me. I like stripes but nothing that looks like a repp tie

8. Roy

Roy Senior member

Dutch Master? [​IMG] Where are you from originally?

9. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

How about a corporate style polo w/logo instead? Lol... just kidding. I'm definitely up for a club tie. Let's start getting some ideas together, I like the repp tie suggestion.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Well, I'm all for it, though I'd rarely have a chance to wear it. Should the colors or pattern represent something? I'm unfamiliar with the design of tie patterns.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

My original thought was a repp tie, as it's in fitting with the tradition for member's clubs. The risk here is that you get something so ugly it can't be worn, and no one wants to look poorly dressed at their Chan fitting.

We could do an usual color grenadine or a herringbone woven solid?

12. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Sounds like a great idea. Although I don't think there'd be a design that everybody will like, especially if you want something that's so unique that we could recognize each other by it.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Forgive me for being a wet blanket, but club ties just strike me as very un-American. They are veddy, veddy British to be sure, but we Americans just don't wear 'em, hence are not on the lookout for them. I note that Ben Silver is offering Balliol College, Oxford ties (which I am fully entitled to wear). Flirted with the idea of getting one, but figured that the odds of running into a fellow Balliol man by wearing it in my haunts are astronomically remote. Besides, ties closely resembling the "official" Balliol striped tie are quite common. Club ties were fun and serviceable when I lived in Britain, just here stateside, they just ain't us.

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I think something simpler than a rep, especially since rep ties are so common, would be more unique and more useful. For example a solid with unusual woven pattern or maybe with small spots, etc. Personally I am a fan of ties with many small white dots.

15. Roy

Roy Senior member

I have to agree with you there. To quote the duke of Windsor: