1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Style Forum Bracket Challenge--March Madness Strikes!

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by AlanC, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

I echo your sentiments on Syracuse and Marquette, I had them both winning the next round too. For 39 minutes it looked like San Diego St. was going to pull off one of the upsets I picked. Unfortunately, the game is 40 minutes long and they got beat. I should know better than to trust a Steve Fisher coached team.

I was an abysmal 10 for 16 yesterday

A Michigan man?

The thing I hate about Steve Fisher is, IIRC, his wife was the first one extensively covered in the now-ubiquitous "wife in the stands" shots that pollute all sports coverage (well before the Kurt Warner "wife" pics in the Super Bowl).

2. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

A Michigan man?

The thing I hate about Steve Fisher is, IIRC, his wife was the first one extensively covered in the now-ubiquitous "wife in the stands" shots that pollute all sports coverage (well before the Kurt Warner "wife" pics in the Super Bowl).

No not a Michigan fan, just not particularly fond of his talents as a coach. He's a great recruiter who assembles extremely talented teams that tend to lack the ability to make the most of their talents.

Incidentally, Steve Fisher was my uncle's high school basketball coach, he wasn't overly fond of him either.

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

My Winthrop pick almost came through (but at least I had A&M and Montana).

koji

4. visionology

visionology Senior member

I had them too, as well as Marquette (bitches) and Syracuse (double-bitches). I did get Wisc-Milwaukee and Montana right, which should separate me from the pack. So, 13-3 and still have all my regional picks alive.
    I got burned by the same games! Marquette I had past the first round and losing in the second. Syracuse though I thought would carry the run and get to the third. Ouch that one hurt. I don't know how you can beat 4 top teams in a row with the sole purpose of getting to the tournament and then not playing to the same potential. Big East went down big on day 1. I hope to recoup my losses today on day 2. Montana was a good pick btw!

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I got burned by the same games! Marquette I had past the first round and losing in the second. Syracuse though I thought would carry the run and get to the third. Ouch that one hurt. I don't know how you can beat 4 top teams in a row with the sole purpose of getting to the tournament and then not playing to the same potential. Big East went down big on day 1. I hope to recoup my losses today on day 2.

Montana was a good pick btw!

Those were generally the lower-tier Big East teams, I still think at least one Big East team will make the Final Four--just hope my 'hawks can make it through the Oakland bracket.

koji

6. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

I got burned by the same games! Marquette I had past the first round and losing in the second. Syracuse though I thought would carry the run and get to the third. Ouch that one hurt. I don't know how you can beat 4 top teams in a row with the sole purpose of getting to the tournament and then not playing to the same potential. Big East went down big on day 1. I hope to recoup my losses today on day 2.

Montana was a good pick btw!

I selected Montana only because my sister and her son are alums and because there's always a couple of 5/12 upsets.

7. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

Iowa, the bunch of rat bastards are killing me. How do the Big Ten tournament champs lose to Northwestern State in the first round for godsakes!

As much as this screws up my picks, that is exactly what makes this tournament so much fun.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Iowa, the bunch of rat bastards are killing me. How do the Big Ten tournament champs lose to Northwestern State in the first round for godsakes!

As much as this screws up my picks, that is exactly what makes this tournament so much fun.

That was an insane last second 3 point shot. NW ST was celebrating and Iowa got a good look at a 3 pointer with .5 left. Imagine if they had hit that shot while NW St was celebrating their victory [​IMG]

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

A lot of so-called experts were picking this one, but I didn't have the cojones to go along -- I picked Iowa to lose in the second round to West Virginia. The Big 10 is to basketball as Roseanne is to singing. Ugly, ugly, ugly. I do have Michigan State in the Elite 8 only because of Tom Izzo's history of success in the tournament.

10. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I had to go with Alford's record in the tourney as a coach, and the upset--but what a finish.

koji

11. visionology

visionology Senior member

I had Iowa losing to WV in the second round too so that loss by Iowa didn't hurt me as much as I first suspected. So far my 16 is still intact so I'm pretty happy.

12. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

Go Albany!

I'll take that beating to my brackets to see my school win it's first NCAA game.

My how things have changed, when I played there we were still Div III.

13. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Bradley just banked in a 3 at the buzzer; lovely.[​IMG]

koji

14. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I never got my invite. Damn.

My apologies LA Guy. I got your PM and sent an invitation through the CBS Sportsline interface.

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'm leading my office pool right now, but this weekend is make or break. I have LSU over Duke and BC over Villanova, with both of those #4 seeds making the Final Four.

16. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Brad and Mr. Checks are co number ones. As number 3, I'm breathin down their necks...

Have 2 brackets where I didn't miss a game, and the other 2 where I just plain sucked.

17. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Brad and Mr. Checks are co number ones. As number 3, I'm breathin down their necks...

Have 2 brackets where I didn't miss a game, and the other 2 where I just plain sucked.

That says more about the sports knowledge of the SF members than it says about me...

18. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

I am pretty much sucking.

I have one bracket where I have everyone still alive and another where I have no one left.

I do have 3 of my 4 Final Four pics left. Unfortunately, I picked Illinois to win it all so I am at a distinct disadvantage there. I'm in 6th place but I have the lowest possible total of everyone participating. Somehow I don't think that is going to improve much.

19. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Well, I must say I'm enjoying an ACC-less Elite 8.

20. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Dropped 2 places- way sucking. Well at least there's no pair of EG prize to be bummed about...