• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style for the college student, any suggestions?

Fisher Shard

Reaction score
what type of look should a college student be aiming for in terms of style?

Dapp

Reaction score
Whatever the hell you want. Now's the time when nobody will care. Just look through WAYWT and get some ideas and see what you like.

YoungM

Reaction score
As a fellow college student, I can tell you.

Head to toe Damir Doma. Nothing else will suffice.

MooseRooster

Reaction score
As long as you avoid the godawful combination of athletic shorts + generic college sweatshirt and/or North Face, you'll be doing better than average.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my students are any indication, flip-flops are a must.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If my students are any indication, flip-flops are a must.

I actually hate wearing flip-flops out of the house. If it rains, they get all gross, and I manage to stub my toe all too often.

fireflygrave

Reaction score
As synthese said somewhere a while back, spend your money in college on partying, no one cares what you look like. Or if you must buy a cool jacket and some good boots and just get cheap fitting basics, you'll look cool in the jacket and no one will notice the rest

EdwardB

Reaction score
As synthese said somewhere a while back, spend your money in college on partying, no one cares what you look like. Or if you must buy a cool jacket and some good boots and just get cheap fitting basics, you'll look cool in the jacket and no one will notice the rest

THIS. I just graduated and really wish I did this. Spent so much money on **** that nobody cared about and I ended up hating/giving away after a while.

OP: it would be in your best interest to search out the thread mentioned and read through the whole thing. You can get by very well on very little if the pieces are well selected.

Last edited:

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet just as many people care what you look like in college than they do anywhere else in life, and besides, you should dress nicely for yourself, not to impress other people, I know I feel 10x better when I go out dressed nice than when I don't put any effort in. If the guy wants to spend his money on clothes, then why not.

EdwardB

Reaction score
It's not about "looking nice" or not (I would assume that everyone cares about what they look like), it's about being realistically dressed for school. The basic idea behind the post that he's referencing is that 1) Most of your stuff is going to just get destroyed in college 2) People can't tell the difference between high end and low end and 3) You'll have money after you graduate, it's better to not invest in expensive pieces and invest in a social life that you're not going to have post-grad.

Last edited:

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from college a few months ago and I have a pretty solid little collection of designer things that brings me great personal satisfaction. I was buying clothes all throughout college and it's a hobby for me now, I am actually collecting a couple of designers. And I like the collecting and tinkering of constantly adding to the wardrobe. You also do lose love (or sometimes literally lose) for things over time.

But when I started posting here at the beginning of my freshman year of college I was already very interested in clothes and my personal style (as well as art, music, design, literature etc...you will find this is a common theme here...), I just had practically no knowledge of fashion and was kind of just slapping together what I could find at the mall that wasn't too hideous.

If you are entirely clueless at this point you may be alright just going down the clarks dbs, ocbd, apcs route (you will find out what these little acronym formulas mean shortly), but to me that is so boring it's painful to imagine. If you are an aesthetically or intellectually inclined person at all then getting into clothes will probably be easy and make sense. If not, you may be a bit more satisfied just appearing decent or put-together by something like, I dunno GQ standards. That is setting the bar rather low, though. Get cozy and really read well some threads in this forum...get a sense of what the status quo is here, what seems desirable etc...that should give you an alright indication of where you may want to be. Hopefully you'll get a couple of alright responses in this thread that won't just link you to really old really overly-long discussions of this full of ****** posts like some of the above, but such is nature of internet forums. There is a ton of excellent info and discussion here. Good luck homie. :foo:

Last edited:

fireflygrave

Reaction score
I'm not saying to dress like a slob, just that you should balance your limited college income and not blow it all on designer clothes. There is a lot of fun to be had, and some of that fun is going to cost spending money. I think that in general (not just for college) but if you want to start dressing fashionably and especially in designer **** on a limited budget, its good to have your first "major" (as in $$$) purchases be a versatile piece of outerwear and some nice shoes. Lots of outfits can be built around those, people will notice you look cool, and you will have time to slowly build up the other elements of your wardrobe. I personally wish I had gotten nice outwear and shoes before basics or more out there pieces just because it sucks when you have cool stuff that gets hidden under your crappy winter coat or whatever. If I could start over I would have my first purchases be a nice leather jacket and nice boots (probably black), just because you can do so much with them if you're at all creative. (except for my hakamas, I don't regret those at all :) ) Of course take my advice with a grain of salt since I bought a cream leather and don't own a black one, and basically only have hi top monochrome chucks and (soon!) docs to wear. If I was smart, I would have made that TOJ black goat, probably, but I couldn't resist the cream while it was still available. :embar:

ac_slater

Reaction score
A lot of funny posts in this thread.

1. Nobody cares how you dress in college? Reality check...unless you live in an extremely hip section of NYC/LA/Tokyo, just about nobody...and i mean nobody cares what you dress like, anywhere. In fact, most people will hate you if they think you spend more on clothes than them. It's just human nature. There will always be a few people (mostly women) who kind of give a damn. But mostly no one cares.

2. You are in college. Fashion for men in college is simple. Buy 2 pair of clarks db's and some trendy Nikes/New Balance sneaks you like. Get some APC's and a few good tops from Wings + Horns and Uniqlo. Call it a day. You can get your whole wardrobe for like $500.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads