• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style for first sweater?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What should a guy get for his first sweater? Vneck, crewneck, turtleneck, zip neck? I was thinking vneck, but am not sure of the reasons.

Man In Space

Reaction score
I would suggest v-neck followed by crewneck. Both would allow you to show the collar of a dress shirt (for example). I prefer v-neck. It can look very sharp with a button-down collar and a tie. Just make sure that the v isn't too large - you don't want to show too much shirt and tie.

Best colors (depending on how you look in them) would be navy, charcoal and may I suggest brown (mid to dark.)

I think that zip and t-necks are not as versatile and if you only have one or a few sweaters then they would stand out more and people would realize that you have only one or a few.

My 2cents, good luck.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agree with MIS. the v-neck with tie looks very nice. i usually sport a polo sweater with tie which is a similar concept. either way, make sure it's fitted but not too fitted so that the ocasional waves/folds in your shirt won't show.

not sure if it was mentioned in your other sweater thread but check out the merino wool sweaters by John Smedley which can be had for a good deal (esp. end of season) at STP....http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eui...d=10D0742C371F

ok. not the best selection just yet but maybe give them awhile for more of their fall/winter stock to appear.

oh, and definitely charcoal grey for your first one. then something in a brown/tan for your second.

-Jeff

AlexHoogeveen

Reaction score
I agree. v-neck looks better&moderner. I like darker colours like the ones gamelan mentioned but one extra tip: Purple (dark) it's also a versatile color that you can combine with lots of shirts. Dark colors look more elegant.

Merinowool is the best choice because it's soft and very thin (still warm). You can unwrinkle them bye 'steaming' them just bye hanging them in moist damp of the shower. You could also get this quite cheap in lots of high-end stores (look at the own-brand)

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Light-gray lightweight V-neck.

Before 5:00, you can wear it with any pants/shirt combo except light-gray, and it can be layered under a jacket.

After 5:00 it looks great over an untucked dress shirt with jeans, or by itself with slacks or jeans.

I say light-gray because dark-wash jeans are very fashionable, and I think light-gray works with dark denim better than does charcoal. If you don't do dark denim, then charcoal or navy would be good color choices.

Lightweight, just because you will have more layering options.

Banana Republic has some swanky lightweight V-necks right now for cheap.

Plasdom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
Light-gray lightweight V-neck.

Before 5:00, you can wear it with any pants/shirt combo except light-gray, and it can be layered under a jacket.

After 5:00 it looks great over an untucked dress shirt with jeans, or by itself with slacks or jeans.

I say light-gray because dark-wash jeans are very fashionable, and I think light-gray works with dark denim better than does charcoal. If you don't do dark denim, then charcoal or navy would be good color choices.

Lightweight, just because you will have more layering options.

Banana Republic has some swanky lightweight V-necks right now for cheap.

Speaking of which, I bought one today fr $21.99. Light gray, light texture, 65% cotton, 30% silk, 5% cashmere. Only thing which bothers me is that is looks like it could get deformed very easily. Anything I can do to fix this?

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Plasdom
Speaking of which, I bought one today fr $21.99. Light gray, light texture, 65% cotton, 30% silk, 5% cashmere. Only thing which bothers me is that is looks like it could get deformed very easily. Anything I can do to fix this?

How do you mean?

I have the same sweater you're talking about, but I've only worn it once because the weather has been pretty warm since I bought it.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
What should a guy get for his first sweater? Vneck, crewneck, turtleneck, zip neck? I was thinking vneck, but am not sure of the reasons.

Your going to need more than one sweater.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Crewneck cashmere sweater in a solid color, followed by a silk one, then a linen one.
I really hope you're kidding. Also, Mike C., having one good sweater for now is fine.

mussel

Reaction score
This is got to be the 20th variation of the same theme "Asian guy from a tropical country going to Boston for the winter and need...." advice on scarf, gloves, cashmere sweater, wool socks, top coat, what color scarf, what color socks, what color gloves, what color sweater, what style sweater, where and how to get them cheap......

Jose, you need to relax. There's no need to plan your purchases from 9,000 miles away. You have plenty of time to make your winter wardrobe purchases once get to Boston from a tropical country. Once in Boston, go to Filene's Basement, try the clothes on, look into mirror, feel the material, compare different colors then you'll know what material you feel comfortable and what style and color looks good on you.

Ask what style to get, you'll get 10 different answers from 10 different people, the bottom line is you need to decide for yourself what looks good on you, what makes you feel comfortable not people think what would look good on you, make you feel warm.

It may be worthwhile for you to make day trip to Kittery outlet center (only an hour away from Boston). They have Polo, Brooks Bros., Eddie Bauer, BR, HF... all good sources for winter clothings. They even have your favorite brand Van Hausen outlet there.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy v-neck. What else could you possibly buy as your first sweater????

!luc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics