• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style for beginners/low budget in Calgary

mcpaul

Reaction score
I am 34, a recruitment manager for a large retailer - dress is business casual I see my boss in Toronto perhaps 4 times per year, and am aiming for a promotion by the summer. My budget is not great. I currently wear whatever I can find from the Bay, or Eddie Bauer. (yes, I am a mess. We're starting from scratch, gents!)

Currently I have a Tommy Hillfiger suit from the Bay, a house brand suit from Tip Top Tailors, mostly Tommy Hilfiger shirts and whatever ties the salesman recommends. My dress pants and nicer casual shirts are from Eddie Bauer. I wear Clarks loafers, which I like - have two pairs in black and brown, I could use some lessons in caring for them, and be ok there, and a Nautica overcoat.

I don't have any style. My casual/weekend wear is a mishmash of anything. I don't buy a lot of clothes, many items are gifts. My girlfriend - she's quite a bit younger than me, dresses slacker/punk, whatever you want to call it. She's got excellent style for her genre, but she admits she has no clue where to start with mens business dress.

I have been into Harry Rosen once. I tired on a Boss suit and a Canali overcoat (this was a year and a half ago, just before I bought my overcoat.) I can't remember the price, but it probably scared me out of the store, as I didn't buy anything.

I'd like to go in there (or somewhere similar - I live in Calgary) and at least appear to have some idea of what I am doing, form a budget and not be bullied by a salesman into something that doesn't fit right or is too expensive.

I am 5'11", probably a bit over 200 pounds now, carrying more in the stomach than I'd like these last couple of years, am looking to join a gym as well, so I can try and lose some weight. So my fit will likely (hopefully!) change in a year or so. I like my clothes to be comfortable #1. my neck is probably a 16.5 now, but I like to wear a 17, for example. I don't like to be too constricted in a suit. I don't work in the cleanest environment, so I'm not wanting to spend a bundle and have it get ruined.

I am admittedly a mess and am coming to you all, the masters of style for advice. Where do I begin?

DM.ru

Reaction score
Hey neighbor! Harry Rosen and Holt are the best for the style, but they are overpriced. You may get something with the discount, but it doesn't happen very often. I am suggesting to stop by at the Tailor Shop by Giovanni on the 37th Street S.W. (intersaction with 17th Ave; east side) and talk to Giovanni. He makes real good bespoke clothing which is cheaper than the clothing at HR and HR, but better in quality. There is another store in Kensington (north side of Kensg. road, few steps from Starbacks to West; basement; forgot a name) which is also cheaper than above stores and have great european style clothing.

Good luck!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by mcpaul
I am 5'11", probably a bit over 200 pounds now, carrying more in the stomach than I'd like these last couple of years, am looking to join a gym as well, so I can try and lose some weight. So my fit will likely (hopefully!) change in a year or so.
This is obviously a big problem, because it precludes investing in staples. You need to stop wasting your time posting in forums: get to the gym and get on a diet sooner rather than later. The one thing that won't change is your shoe size. Many members recommend you should start building your wardrobe there, anyway. Go to HR and get properly fitted in Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and other boundary lasts. Check the archives to see if other shoe brands of note are carried in Calgary.
Originally Posted by mcpaul
I like my clothes to be comfortable #1. my neck is probably a 16.5 now, but I like to wear a 17, for example. I don't like to be too constricted in a suit.
This kind of statement suggests you've been sold stuff that doesn't fit in the past. If your clothes don't fit properly, then you might as well keep buying them at Eddie Bauer.
wink.gif
You might want to consider DM.ru's advice: it's worth paying to get properly fitted so you have something to work with.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I can offer three pieces of advice at this stage. First is to read the forum and become better educated on different styles, matching, quality, fit, what makes a good suit (canvas/fusing), shoes... Second is that the most important characteristic in good clothes is fit; better a cheaper suit that fits than an ill-fitting expensive suit. Finally, buy the best quality you can afford; better to buy 2 good suits than 5 crappy ones. Shopping in Calgary is limited but after you learn more about what you like/need/want... you can buy from eBay, STP... or buy in Toronto, with slightly better options, when you are in town.

Alan B.

Reaction score
You have my sympathy. I looked at the websites for Harry Rosen and Holt Renfrew. I found the prices astronomical and the selection limited. You might want to try Lands' End for decent quality, essential items. Sierra Trading Post is great for shoes and high quality individual pieces (e.g., sweaters).

Be careful about shoes. Feet generally get bigger as we age. I've been a 7 1/2D for twenty years and recently grew a half size. Of course this was three months after I purchased a long-awaited pair of Alden calfskin loafers! You can change your waist but not your shoe size.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might help to work on your wardrobe piece by piece. For example, you could start with a pair or two of dress shoes, or perhaps a nice sweater or two, sport shirts, or a sport jacket that really fits. It's hard to take on the whole closet at once.

Ed13

Reaction score
I would go to a tailor and start having a few items made. For business casual I would start with a sports jacket or a blazer as well as a couple pairs of trousers. Buy classics such as a blue blazer, grey flannel trousers and beige cavalry twill trousers.

I would let the tailor know you may lose some weight and make sure the items can be altered accordingly. Don't bother waiting until you are in shape, you may retire before that ever happens.

A good pair of shoes is also a good investment.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Calgary and there are a few places to go if your on a budget. You could start with some of the consignment shops in town and such. Don't be afraid to go to Holts or Harry's and try stuff on just to buy it online.

I use a Henry's Tailors in town here and have found both prices and quality of work far beyond what can be found DT.

GL and take your time as you get into it all.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-chunky sweaters. Like shoes, you can buy them without worrying about the effect of a modest weight loss. There should be many sales on them in the upcoming months.

persid

Reaction score
Your shoe shopping options in Calgary are extremely limited. Harry sells Allan Edmonds, but for a price of several brand new pairs off of ebay. They also sell fairly decent Canalis, but for ~$600 or so, and the usual assortment of overpriced Hugo Boss. Holt's shoe selection is ... well, it warrants their recommendation of using shoe shine spray on the shoes. The only worthy shoe place in Calgary is Gravity Pope (www.gravitypope.com). Their stuff is oriented toward casual, but they carry some nice Paul Smith lace-ups. They're moving away from men's footwear to women's at a frightening pace, so it might already be too late (haven't been there since the summer). From the sounds of it, men's fashion is a struggling business on 17th Ave.

My recommendation when it comes to shoes in Calgary is to hit up a few of these stores, try on a bunch of pairs of everything and note your sizing. Then wait for online sales or specific models to show up on ebay.

As for suits, again I recommend you stay away from the big name stores as they simply charge too much and get away with it as Calgarians' wallets have outgrown their brains. If you plan on loosing weight, don't spend much money on clothes now anyway because most of the stuff simply won't fit in a year. Stick to shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads