1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Style crimes: fit vs formality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mikael, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Mikael

Mikael Well-Known Member

Which is worse, going too casual or wearing a suit that's two sizes too big?

Had an event yesterday that called for a suit and tie. However, after having lost 20 pounds, I'm in the process of replacing my entire wardrobe, and consequently didn't have a suit to wear that wouldn't have looked like a tent. Ended up wearing a dark brown odd jacket with some nice twill khakis, blue shirt, navy/gold repp tie, and espresso suede C&J Hallams.

So, yeah, I actually dropped down two notches on the scale of formality (cotton pants & suede shoes instead of wool pants and calf shoes), but the fit was nice.

What do you think, did I make the right call?

FWIW, the first guy I ran into outside the venue was wearing a black suit (not a funeral, mind), no tie, green cotton belt and white driving mocs. So it's not like I was the chump in the room with my outfit.

2. Balfour

Balfour Senior Member

Depends on the event. I would go for fit every time, unless not wearing a suit would cause offence to those organising the event (e.g. at a funeral). Even then I wouldn't wear a suit two sizes too big - if I found myself without any suits that fitted, and needed to attend such an event, it would be better to buy a serviceable OTR suit to tide me over until the new permanent suits were ready.

3. Mikael

Mikael Well-Known Member

Arrived at the exact same conclusion myself. Ordered two suits from Suitsupply when I got home from the event.