• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

style and attractiveness

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There are different aspects of male beauty. There is of course, what you talk about--the alpha male construction worker. There is also the more modest feminine look as well as the androgynous look. Oscar Wilde would have preferred the latter than the overly aggressive male as do some females.

However, letting myself be a Male Image Consultant, I've read some "studies" that show women prefer vaguely feminine looking male faces.

The slim boy look is preferred on the runways:

00480m.jpg

Uh, it's not women who put those models up there.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Uh, it's not women who put those models up there.
But they still won't go up to your hotel room.
devil.gif
However, would you call those people unattractive? Perhaps we should bring up Greek ideals of beauty.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But they still won't go up to your hotel room.
devil.gif

However, would you call those people unattractive?

Perhaps we should bring up Greek ideals of beauty.

I wasn't implying anything about the models just the people who choose them as models. That being said I think they are good looking guys and some women like a more boyish look and some like a more masculine one. Good news is there seems to be all types.

As far as the Greeks go I think they tended towards the "big strong man" type
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/g/image...artem.2.lg.JPG

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I wasn't implying anything about the models just the people who choose them as models. That being said I think they are good looking guys and some women like a more boyish look and some like a more masculine one. Good news is there seems to be all types.

As far as the Greeks go I think they tended towards the "big strong man" type
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/g/image...artem.2.lg.JPG

Not really. Plus that statue is of Poseidon, a deity. If you see classical statues of athletes and citizens, they are made lean but not huge, nor bony like many male models.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
On a sidenote, I cannot help but take some offense at your statement with regard to taste and its lack thereof in America, Asia, etc. I'm not sure that in comparing your average middle-class European to your average middle-class American or Asian the European will be found to have more 'taste'. Of course, the empirical basis for settling such a dispute is neither available nor assessable, but my main point is that your quickness to make such a statement on the matter reveals a lack of good judgment.

And I'm sure of course that every comment or statement that you make on online sartorial forums are based on decades of Nobel Prize winning research.

What makes you thing that I made was a a statement made out of 'quickness'? I have lived in Asia, Europe and America, and I perfectly know how the middle-classes dress.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
As an aside, one of the things that makes me chuckle is the fact that most people who make blanke negative comments about others on here have never posted a picture of their body much less their face. I think that your theories, while interesting, will be more fleshed out once you go ahead and do so.

I am amused.

How would it change what I wrote if I posted a photo of my face or body? I am *not* saying I am God's gift to women and everyone is ugly. I am just laying out my opinions on attractiveness, clothes and taste.

I don't believe the whole beauty / taste is relative thing by the way. That's why it's so futile to argue about taste, because there is no way to prove who is right.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I am amused.

How would it change what I wrote if I posted a photo of my face or body? I am *not* saying I am God's gift to women and everyone is ugly. I am just laying out my opinions on attractiveness, clothes and taste.

I don't believe the whole beauty / taste is relative thing by the way. That's why it's so futile to argue about taste, because there is no way to prove who is right.

Well, what I meant more than that I wanted to see your body and face (I really don't) is that you make a pretty wide sweeping disparaging remark to a group of people about their respective taste. It would be helpful to see what you like (presumably you wear what you like) so that the rest of us can say to ourselves "hmm he might be on to something" or "yikes he looks like he lives under a bridge" or something in between. However, I am glad that you are amused. I aim to please.

sloaney

Reaction score
Well, what I meant more than that I wanted to see your body and face (I really don't) is that you make a pretty wide sweeping disparaging remark to a group of people about their respective taste. It would be helpful to see what you like (presumably you wear what you like) so that the rest of us can say to ourselves "hmm he might be on to something" or "yikes he looks like he lives under a bridge" or something in between.

However, I am glad that you are amused. I aim to please.

I see what you are saying, but I did not intend to make a wide sweeping generalization. I said *most* people, not all. I for one, definitely see one or two well-dressed and tastefully dressed people from the the Sartorial Collection photos.

And I am saying that the average person's taste level in Europe is higher. I am not saying every single European has better taste. I don't think this is a very controversial statement.

I agree I didn't say very kind things, but I thought we wanted to hear different views and opinions.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
As an aside, one of the things that makes me chuckle is the fact that most people who make blanke negative comments about others on here have never posted a picture of their body much less their face. I think that your theories, while interesting, will be more fleshed out once you go ahead and do so.

thumbs-up.gif

Funny. I've noticed the same thing.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
I see what you are saying, but I did not intend to make a wide sweeping generalization. I said *most* people, not all.

Saying most people on three continents (well, two and a pretty large country) is pretty sweeping.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the confidence/attractiveness thing, I've heard a fanny (UK, not US) magnet postulate that the more one is attracted to someone (opposite sex), the more they are likely to be attracted to you. So, an average bloke with confidence, chat etc has a good chance with a gorgeous woman. So, an average, well-dressed bloke....

Kasper

Reaction score
I think that casual style and attractiveness are both very subjective but when discussing professional business attire taste levels can be more easily defined.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
I think that casual style and attractiveness are both very subjective but when discussing professional business attire taste levels can be more easily defined.
I feel that professional business attire can only be one way and not the other.

Kasper

Reaction score
I feel that professional business attire can only be one way and not the other.

I agree with you but also would like to say that it takes a special touch (or "finesse" in French) to subtly add your own personal style into a professional business wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads