• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style advice, should i only buy silk ties?

modernfeel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to StyleForum, though I have frequently browsed through threads on this site for advice. In any case this is my first post, please bare with me if I make any rookie mistakes, apologies in advance.

What is everyone's take on the types of materials used to make ties?
I am a young adult and in the process of building a modern and classic looking wardrobe. Lately I've been itching to buy some ties but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for.

I currently own only silk ties, but I'm beginning to wonder if they are appropriate for less formal occasions i.e. for everyday wear >> think sweater, collared shirt and tie (I know some of you here disagree with the whole tie and sweater combo altogether but I find I look pretty good in it). Is it ok to wear silk ties with a sweater/shirt combo? or are other materials more suitable.

In any case... I'd like to know what people recommend in terms of the types of materials in ties I should be looking to buy and what types of styles/clothing would match with certain materials.

Thanks in advance

spoozy

Reaction score
Pretty easy question, simple answer: get as much different types of ties as you can possibly get.

I´ve got several ties made of wool, cashmere, or silk blends. Their texture is naturally different and enables you to sport them with different kinds of suits´ fabrics (worsted wool with a woolen tie, mohair with a silk knit, linen sport coat with a linen tie, etc.).

Just try out whatever you like and get rid of those you don´t like.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, ties are entireley about how they look. A £5 tie can look like a £250 tie and vice-versa. If you're paying large amounts then go for the highest quality in the price bracket, but on the whole you can have any material you like.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, not really when you consider Cotton and wool ties are a great addition to your wardrobe.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
No, not really when you consider Cotton and wool ties are a great addition to your wardrobe.
+1. WAYWN has good examples of fabrics other than silk for ties.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get some wool ties for winter, cotton and linen ties for summer, and some Irish poplin (wool silk blend) that you can wear year around with the silk ones.

modernfeel

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! going tie shopping tomorrow, should be a doozy.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

+1

Seems to me that some people think the only things ties can be made from are silk and polyester, which couldn't be further from the truth. As long as you avoid the latter, lots of other materials can make nice ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads