• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style advice on a 3p suit?

Will1v

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to get a 3p suit done for my wedding and would love to have some advice for you.
I'd like a very sober and understated dark/midnight blue, very formal in a way, but with a few tweaks that would remind of a more traditional morning coat.

I was thinking rope shoulders, peak lapels and a (possibly horseshoe shaped?) DB waistcoat, possibly in a light (grey?) colour, a bit like that:

Not sure about the Prince of Wales pattern on the waistcoat, but I could give it some thought.

As far as colour goes (and I quite like the waistcoat, too), here's what I was thinking:

And for the tie, I had in mind dark blue with dots (or similar pattern) matching the waistcoat colour (as on the first picture basically). Drakes seem to do quite a few ties in that spirit.

I'd like to know what you think, whether you like it or find it very loud and clumsy and of very bad taste, as I'm sure knowledgeable people here would have plenty of ideas on what to do and what to avoid to achieve the initial idea: a nice wedding suit with that subtle play around traditional wedding garment.

Please be nice, I'm pretty new to all this :)

Cheers

TheShoeMaker

Reaction score
I'd definitely recommend a contrast colored waist coat. Glencheck is nice?

Will1v

Reaction score
Funnily enough, although I was a contrast waistcoat in mind, posting this picture got me to think having the waiscoat in the same fabric did look very nice too.
But I think you're right, I should stick to the contrast, gives a bit more of a wedding touch to the suit.

Glencheck could be nice, but I'd need to find one that looks better, I'm not fond of the one on the picture.

Thanks for your answer TheShoeMaker

Wayward

Reaction score
I would argue strongly against contrast waistcoat, for the simple reason that that could always be bought separately. On the other hand, if you're having the suit made, this is the best/only time to have the matching fabric available. Furthermore, contrast waistcoat looks like it's trying too hard to look like morning dress. Finally, I'm assuming you'll want to wear the suit after wedding, in which case a matching waistcoat would go much further.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy flannel 3-piece suit , single breasted jacket and waistcoat. However, I also commissioned a dove-grey double breasted waistcoat made from the same bunch. I'm very glad I did. I don't wear the grey waistcoat frequently, but when I do I'm very pleased with it. So, if you can afford it, I'd definitely recommend getting both a matching and a contrasting waistcoat. I like the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads