• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style advice needed!

borias

Reaction score
Hey, what's up guys. Can someone help me out here? I would like to create an outfit very much like the type some young guys in the west wear to more domestic parties. It involves wearing a plaid shirt underneath a one-colored vest/shirt where the plaid collar and sleeves still show over the top layer. You know the look I'm talking about?

Its something like this: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...07/3102396.jpg, my friend helped me search through myspace and found this pic of some guy wearing that style in her network.

Anyway, I currently have two plaid shirts. They are both white based and have large print patterns; the plaid on the first is just a combination of shades of blue while the second is orange based with thinner lines of light turquoise and some black. I'm looking to buy something that acts as the over layer to either of these shirts, can you guys recommend a color and cut that would compliment either of the plaid shirts I already have? Much thanks in advance!

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you mean. Any pics of what you're talking about?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borias
Hey, what's up guys. Can someone help me out here? I would like to create an outfit very much like the type some young guys in the west wear to more domestic parties. It involves wearing a plaid shirt underneath a one-colored vest/shirt where the plaid collar and sleeves still show over the top layer. You know the style I'm talking about?

uw28492.jpg
?

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright. Sounds like you're going to be wearing a western style plaid shirt under neath a vneck, or something. A vest might be better off(like you mentioned), but probably not a tshirt. A picture would be helpful, this look could be anything from amjack cowboy to a more "Casual shirt under cardigan" sort of thing.

borias

Reaction score
Haha! I don't think I can pull off that cowboy look... maybe on halloween.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
If your style keywords are "sporty lumberjack", can anything good come of it? I'm just saying.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, there's not much to that look. A plaid shirt and a sweater vest. I wouldn't do it personally, as it looks very 90s and sort of nerdy. Now, if it looked 80s and nerdy it would probably be chic as ****...

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Joel_Cairo, that looks like a young Robert Smith grew a wispy goatee and decided that country music was waaay more lucrative than gloomy rock. Where the hell did you find a picture of a cowboy wearing eyeliner? Do I even want to know? Actually, I answered my own question. No, I don't.

borias

Reaction score
I was referring to the guy in the first pic when I said sporty lumberjack. Check out my edited post above, I found a more fitting pic.

Yes, I suppose it's 90s; but that's the style I'm looking for.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Joel_Cairo, that looks like a young Robert Smith grew a wispy goatee and decided that country music was waaay more lucrative than gloomy rock. Where the hell did you find a picture of a cowboy wearing eyeliner? Do I even want to know?

Actually, I answered my own question. No, I don't.

googleimages "cowboy"... I was surprised to find that that was one of the less gay hits that came up.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
After the "Fok" threads, I have a horrible urge to start googling amusing cowboy pictures... but for the OP's sake, I will refrain.

OP, I'm not a big fan of the look, but whatever you end up going for, I'd make sure that the sweater vest color complements the dominant color of the plaid. Too much contrast, like the white sweater vest with that dark plaid in the link you posted, looks a bit strange.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads