1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stupid Question - Threads Across Lapel Notch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JAGMAJ, Mar 7, 2005.

1. JAGMAJ

JAGMAJ Member

Yet another opportunity to display my ignorance. I recently bought a used Canali suit off Ebay, and it has threads sewn across the lapel notch (i.e., gorge). I assume this is to keep the lapel from sagging. My question is whether these threads are supposed to be cut off after purchase or do you just leave them (they aren't noticeable until very close)? If you are supposed to cut them off, is there a proper method to safely do so?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You mean there are visible threads strecthing like spider webs from across the notch of the lapel? That's a new one. Doesn't sound right to me. I'd cut them off.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

4. JAGMAJ

JAGMAJ Member

Yes to both.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Okay, if it's a peaked lapel, that is somewhat common. Better makers don't do it, but many RTW makers do. Unless it's driving you nuts, I would leave it there. It's an insurance policy against the lapel sagging in an ugly way. Had they been notch lapels (shudder) I definitely would cut the threads.

6. JAGMAJ

JAGMAJ Member

[​IMG] Not the best picture, but you can get an idea of the shape of the lapel. There are tiny threads criss-crossing the notch.

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

leave it. it's standard faire on peak lapel suits.

8. JAGMAJ

JAGMAJ Member

Thanks for the help. That's the first time I've seen this, but then again, it's the first time I've bought a suit with peaked lapels.