• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stupid question: how do you sit in a DB suit?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
That's a kickin' jacket. Despos?

Of course!
smile.gif

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
So I like my new DB just fine. But how do I sit in it? Do I leave it all buttoned up (two internal buttons, plust one external)? Do I button it up part way (a combination of some of the three)? Or do I unbutton every button?

I think the DB is suppose to be cut to allow you to sit comfortably with the buttons fastened up. I kind of like that in a DB I don;t have to button and unbutton when moving between sanding and sitting. I have old Enrico Isaia suit that is uncomfortable when sitting but an Oxxford and RLPL one that I can't even feel when sitting but the 3 suits are all the same dimensions. Is it double vented ?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep, double vents. It's fine when I don't do up all the internal buttons.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
My movie persona is very different (and much more complex).

No kidding. The way you moved so effortlessly in that unvented BD coat was some genius acting.

By the way, if you ever tire of that pistol of a wife, please let me know.

lefty

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yachtie looks much better with just the top button buttoned, IMO. You should follow his example. I am glad, however, that you are no longer going to strap yourself into all your buttons. Just the thought of buttoning both internal buttons makes me feel uncomfortable.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Interesting you should say this. The 6-button pants (with belt buckle holder thing!) take FOREVER to get off. I think suspenders would be quicker to get off. We should ask SoCal...

Solution?

long_rear_view_02.jpg

Note: above not necessarily attributable to Despos.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Just the thought of buttoning both internal buttons makes me feel uncomfortable.

mafoofan DB suit button count:

1. Four each jacket sleeve: 8. Let's assume seven buttoned: 7.

2. Front and interior of jacket: one front, two interior: 3.

4. Trouser fly: 8

5. Trouser cuffs: 4.

So, conservatively, 22 buttons to be buttoned going out the door.

Maybe he can add button boots...

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Solution?
long_rear_view_02.jpg
Note: above not necessarily attributable to Despos. - B

You laugh but i know someone who makes suits for a client that have a zipper in the back presumably for him to make easier deposits without removing his jacket or pants. I suppose another iGent solution would be the aero diaper worn by that female astronaut en route to kill her lover's lover.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am still trying to figure out how long it must take to crap if you wear braces. Without a doubt, it would rule out any sort of Mexican food.

O/T, but I find that braces can come off as quickly as a belt, generally speaking. The problem is when you are wearing a vested suit with braces. I was in this predicament while I was on a digestive cleanse (basically maxing out your fiber intake along with some herbs), and let me tell you, it was a photo finish while at work!

1) Unbutton jacket
2) Remove jacket
3) Hang jacket on hook
4) Unbutton waistcoat
5) Remove waistcoat
6) Hang on... hmmm... where am I going to put this... uh oh, okay, under...uuuhh... the jacket on the hook, jacket on top. Okay, now
7) Slide off braces
8) Drop trou
9) Drop underwear
10)Drop load

Add extra steps as needed if wearing a coat and carrying an umbrella.

Wash hands and reverse to get dress. That particular occasion was bad, because I was having to do this about 5 times while at work. More info than anyone wanted I'm sure, but just to let the buyer beware of this get-up.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Most people I know have their tailor sew a pocket in the inside waistband to hold a one gallon ziplock freezer bag. You empty it out when you get home at the end of the day.
The Duke of Windsor apparently had built-in underwear in his trousers.

Patrician

Reaction score
This is the drawback with a DB suit, unbuttoned it looks really stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics