• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stupid Question: Cleaning mirrors

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random stupid question: How do they clean mirrors in hotels so that there is that square patch that doesn't fog up?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must be staying in the wrong hotels. I've never seen this 'square patch,' that I can recall.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
I must be staying in the wrong hotels. I've never seen this 'square patch,' that I can recall.

Really? Maybe it's an Asian hotel thing. Basically, they have some type of spray that keeps the mirror from fogging up from shower steam. When you come out if the shower the mirror is fogged up except for one area that has had that spray applied.

Nobody else has seen this?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
I think that the spray is pretty much just a light wax, sort of like rain-x anti fog, that the condensation can't stick to. Anything that basically creates a seal over the pores in the glass will work. Regular white bar soap, or a little bit of shaving cream smeared on and then squeegied off, etc.

Give it a shot!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
I've seen the "heater" systems, but usually only for smaller mirrors
Ive also seen a shaving mirror that you attach to your showerhead that diverts a small amount of hot water behind the glass to keep the mirror from fogging.

I usually just use shaving cream. It seems to work pretty darn well.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
Toto also sells a spray: http://www.kenko.com/product/item/itm_8451983072.html
Bic: Thanks...I think that Toto stuff is what I am seeking. I have seen the heater ones also but I am sure that a hotel I stayed at recently was not using one of those...so I assumed it is some type of spray. TS: Yea, I tried the shaving cream or soap approach also but it didn't work so well for me as I have a fairly large mirror in my bathroom and it is a pain using so much cream each time. I wonder what onsens use?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Bic: Thanks...I think that Toto stuff is what I am seeking. I have seen the heater ones also but I am sure that a hotel I stayed at recently was not using one of those...so I assumed it is some type of spray.

TS: Yea, I tried the shaving cream or soap approach also but it didn't work so well for me as I have a fairly large mirror in my bathroom and it is a pain using so much cream each time.

I wonder what onsens use?

well I didn't know you were doing your whole mirror. you asked about a "square patch"... for shaving and grooming purposes, you can easily create enough space (2x2 or so) to do this with a quarter sized drop of shaving cream.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40