• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stupid nigerian scam question

thetieguy

Reaction score
I am selling an xbox 360 on craigslist and somebody wants to paypal me money to ship to Nigeria. I said no. He insists I ship. Why couldn't I just take the payment and not ship?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do it. Get those nigerians F***ers back.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thetieguy
I am selling an xbox 360 on craigslist and somebody wants to paypal me money to ship to Nigeria. I said no. He insists I ship. Why couldn't I just take the payment and not ship?

Wouldn't that person then just have to file a paypal dispute and everyone is back to square one? I don't use paypal all that often but I hear people talking about filing disputes all the time on here.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Wouldn't that person then just have to file a paypal dispute and everyone is back to square one? I don't use paypal all that often but I hear people talking about filing disputes all the time on here.

Right.

Don't ship it.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78

not really square one. paypal will dock an additional 10 dollars for the dispute from the seller.

Asterix

Reaction score
The odds of a legitimate Nigerian buyer buying something from you on Craigslist from Nigeria is 1% so that means its is 99% that it is a possible scam so why not just ignore the person?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you are a racist

Ippo

Reaction score
because the money he sends you will bounce.

Say you're selling the xbox for $150. What happens is he'll send you a check or whatever accidentally writing "$1500" on it. You then deposit the check. Afterwards, he'll ask you to please send back the $1350 because he made a mistake. You send him the $1350. Then you find out the initial $1500 he gave you was fraud and now you're out $1350.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ippo
because the money he sends you will bounce.

Say you're selling the xbox for $150. What happens is he'll send you a check or whatever accidentally writing "$1500" on it. You then deposit the check. Afterwards, he'll ask you to please send back the $1350 because he made a mistake. You send him the $1350. Then you find out the initial $1500 he gave you was fraud and now you're out $1350.

That would be profoundly stupid. OP clearly gets that this is a scam - I would hope he wouldn't fall for something so obvious.

Also, OP said PayPal, not a check.

Ippo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
That would be profoundly stupid. OP clearly gets that this is a scam - I would hope he wouldn't fall for something so obvious.

Also, OP said PayPal, not a check.

Yes it is stupid, and unfortunately, some people still fall for it. I'm not saying the OP is one of those people, but it does happen. Anyways, like Gradstudent78 said, there's no real point in accepting his payment and not shipping the package, because he can just dispute it to paypal.

nekromansur

Reaction score
I didnt realize theyve upgraded to using PayPal now. I thought it was still the good ol' fashion cheques? Especially since Ippo, you clearly said 'he'll send you a check', which usually means he cant do a paypal dispute... right?

Gotham

Reaction score
i wish we could nuke Nigeria. 50% of fraud in the world solved

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a Nigerian, I can tell you that any Nigerian that knows what an xbox is would get it from family or friends living or travelling abroad. Or buy it in Nigeria (for a lot more of course). Anyway the mail service there is very unreliable and it would probably be stolen by the mail employees. Don't waste your time.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea when I was a newb at selling things I sold a 360 to one of those F***ers and lost the 360 and $400. I caught on the night I had shipped it. I called fed ex to stop it and they said they would. They lied and it kept on going.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads