• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Stupid G Commercial

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,658
Reaction score
2,297
Anyone watching the bowl games on Fox this week has been subjected to those awful fucking "What is G" commercials by now. They are borderline illiterate and clearly intended to be mysterious and epic but they just suck. In particular, the white-masked dance guys (I gather they are some cool dance crew) creep me out and the whole thing is lame, lame, lame.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
Don't know what they're about and don't care. Advertising failure.
 

aprogressivone

Active Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Gatorade is banking on lil wayne voice. . .LOL The dance crew are the jabbawockeez. The fact this thread exists means the ad is not a failure, but is working.
 

SystemShock

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by aprogressivone
The fact this thread exists means the ad is not a failure, but is working.

I don't know. I barely care, y'know?

If it's a success, it's a very minor one.
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
Originally Posted by aprogressivone
Gatorade is banking on lil wayne voice. . .LOL The dance crew are the jabbawockeez. The fact this thread exists means the ad is not a failure, but is working.

How? I have no idea what they're advertising.
 

zeni

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
I caught one of these during the Ole Miss v Texas Tech game. 'g is a lower-case God' etc. Terrible indeed, and long. I had to change the channel.
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,658
Reaction score
2,297
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You're talking about it. That's the goal of advertising. Get people to talk about it all over the place.

http://www.marketingshift.com/2009/1...nline-what.cfm


I think these ad campaigns are lame, lame, lame. Obviously, yes, the idea is to have people standing around the water cooler talking about them, but I think they say more about the American advertising model than they do about the product in question.

The agency that created this ad gets to point out to the advertiser (after spending tens of millions of their dollars on the creative and the media placement during the BCS bowl games) "look how many google searches there were for 'What is G?' the next day," supposedly justifying the expense. In the meantime, most people either didn't bother to look it up, or like me, are irritated that we had to look it up. Worse, other people (as we see in this thread) think it was a Nike ad.

I know what the theory is behind this, but I think it's a flawed theory invented by professional marketers to line their own pockets, rather than a genuinely effective branding strategy.
 

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
6,714
Reaction score
163
It's not a Nike ad? What is it?
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,658
Reaction score
2,297
Gatorade.
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You're talking about it. That's the goal of advertising. Get people to talk about it all over the place.

http://www.marketingshift.com/2009/1...nline-what.cfm


No, the goal of advertising is to get people to recognize a product or service. If it weren't for this thread I'd have no idea what the heck they're advertising.

Nike does a much better job because they use their logo and everyone knows the Swoosh.
 

FiveFiveFive

Senior Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
654
Reaction score
1
I'll bet part of their intention was to irritate people who have a propensity for criticism. People like that are usually incapable of keeping their opinions to themselves, so they voice it -- on the street, at work, to their friends, on forums.

"Did you guys see that 'what is G' commercial? What a god awful waste of time that was. I don't even know what it was promoting."

Of course, there'll be people around him who didn't know about the commercial, and BOOM -- now they do. It's like free advertisement.
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
I'll bet part of their intention was to irritate people who have a propensity for criticism. People like that are usually incapable of keeping their opinions to themselves, so they voice it -- on the street, at work, to their friends, on forums. "Did you guys see that 'what is G' commercial? What a god awful waste of time that was. I don't even know what it was promoting." Of course, there'll be people around him who didn't know about the commercial, and BOOM -- now they do. It's like free advertisement.
I realize that, but it's a common mistake in marketing to inadvertently hide your message. For every person that just got clued in from the water cooler conversation there's someone like me who doesn't know and doesn't care.
 

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
19,178
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by why
I realize that, but it's a common mistake in marketing to inadvertently hide your message. For every person that just got clued in from the water cooler conversation there's someone like me who doesn't know and doesn't care.
They played you like a fiddle.
Its only a mistake until you realize that psychologically speaking, this method of advertising (self advertising, or one removed advertising, or whatever you call it) is, if done properly, as or more effective than the traditional advertising. These people aren't stupid, and they didn't make a mistake. Its quite brilliant.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 66 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.9%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 15 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 47 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,558
Messages
9,220,275
Members
193,559
Latest member
zaxxonis
Top