• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stumped on potential interview question

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
I have an interview coming up (it's in the finance/accounting field) and I am going over potential behavioral questions to prepare. How would you answer, "Tell me about a time when you made an ethical decision"? I am stumped on what I should talk about. What is this question trying to gauge? Any advice?

Obviously I should talk about a time when I made an ethical decision, however I'm still in college and failing to come up with something.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's a tricky question that you have to effectively answer both ways too... I'm guessing that they want to know you're ethical and have a high moral standard since it's accounting so they don't want to to go fudge with numbers.... BUT that being said it's GAAP and all that so there's always discretion. So tell a story and add in how you recognized there was an ethical issue at hand, you thought about and made your decision, but you made sure to put it in front of someone more senior before acting on it and only made the call once you had another person agree/not. Ie I can make my own decisions but you won't have to worry about me going all whistleblower on your ass.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
I don't think that will go over well.
What could possibly go wrong? Seriously though, I don't see how anybody could answer this for you. Only you know what decisions you've made. Unless you want to go the 'I make ethical decisions every single day' route. ETA: I would keep it professional if possible, i.e., professional/academic decisions

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"I have been pretty lucky - my family gave me a very good ethical background and, as I have found that when faced with options, I really haven't had to make any hard ethical decisions, it always has been clear to me what to do."

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
"I have been pretty lucky - my family gave me a very good ethical background and, as I have found that when faced with options, I really haven't had to make any hard ethical decisions, it always has been clear to me what to do."

*whistles*

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
I don't see how anybody could answer this for you. Only you know what decisions you've made.
Unless you want to go the 'I make ethical decisions every single day' route.

ETA: I would keep it professional if possible, i.e., professional/academic decisions

this.

Are you changing jobs or a graduating student? (or Other. Please Specify)

Originally Posted by globetrotter

you lying sack of ****
smile.gif

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
this.

Are you changing jobs or a graduating student? (or Other. Please Specify)

you lying sack of ****
smile.gif

Op says he is in college.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ah sorry, readin' fail.

ok - any work experience while you were studying? I sold suits back in the day, anything like that where you could pull out a customer service ("she walked away and left a hundred bucks on the counter") kind of story?

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
ah sorry, readin' fail.

ok - any work experience while you were studying? I sold suits back in the day, anything like that where you could pull out a customer service ("she walked away and left a hundred bucks on the counter") kind of story?

Not really I asked a few friends of mine and they say they went with a story about how someone wanted to cheat off them and they said no basically. I guess I'll have to come up with something.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not really I asked a few friends of mine and they say they went with a story about how someone wanted to cheat off them and they said no basically. I guess I'll have to come up with something.

just don't make it sound too prepared.....

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
just don't make it sound too prepared.....

I won't. I'm basically just trying to associate a topic or story to questions so I'll have something to go off of.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up (it's in the finance/accounting field) and I am going over potential behavioral questions to prepare. How would you answer, "Tell me about a time when you made an ethical decision"? I am stumped on what I should talk about. What is this question trying to gauge? Any advice?

Obviously I should talk about a time when I made an ethical decision, however I'm still in college and failing to come up with something.

Guaging your ability to deal with pressure, think on your feet. Come up with a situation that highlights an organizational issue at your old job, how your peers/bosses or both dealt with it and how you stood above the fray or rose to the task and helped resolve it. Something like that.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them about that time that you got the girl in your dorm room all liquored up and were going to ravage her love cave, but then decided that you probably shouldn't as she was passed out. As a middle ground, you decided that a little buttsechs would be an ethical compromise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads