• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff to do in DC in late July

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
. . . besides sweating a lot. I'll be in DC (near Union Station, if that makes a difference) the last week in July. I know the obvious tourist stuff and am planning to catch a Nationals game, but if there is anything seasonal (concerts, exhibitions, etc.) worth checking out in the evening, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
. . . besides sweating a lot. I'll be in DC (near Union Station, if that makes a difference) the last week in July. I know the obvious tourist stuff and am planning to catch a Nationals game, but if there is anything seasonal (concerts, exhibitions, etc.) worth checking out in the evening, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Be prepared to be totally unimpressed and let down by the Nat's new stadium... thing looks like a bunch of random bleachers pieced together without a real view of the monuments, like they kept saying it would have, or a view of the river behind it.

Anyway, with the heat of late July, be sure you take a lazy evening trip to the Round Robin Bar and have a mint julep.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a classical music fan, you could head over to Wolftrap on July 31 to catch the National Symphony Orchestra and pianist Joyce Yang perform Beethoven's Best, including the "Emperor" Piano Concerto and the choral Finale ("Ode to Joy") to the Ninth Symphony: http://www.kennedy-center.org/calend...nt&event=ZIWTH Emil de Cou will be conducting.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
. . . besides sweating a lot.

Crap, you beat me to it. That's the first thing that popped into my head.

You could check out the Friday evening jazz in the sculpture garden at the National Gallery. I think that's all summer. Here's the link.

If you have a car, you could go dancing at Glen Echo Park. Everything from zydeco, to waltz, to swing.

b

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the Wolftrap nomination. It's a pain to get there if you don't have a car, though. If can manage a trip out there to check out a concert, it's worth it - great place to hear live music (it's an open air ampitheater).

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's touristy but the Hirshhorn museum has always been one of the top DC destinations for me. (I'm out in the DC suburbs)

It's a really great mix of older and contemporary art, and the scultpture garden is absolutely awesome. Check out the website, for some upcoming events and the current collections

Also come visit some of your styleforum compatriots at the Denim Bar! The Arlington location is just past National's stadium, over the Anacostia river.

modsquad

Reaction score
There is a play called Busted Jesus Comix at the DC Fringe Festival playing that weekend that you could check out .... ;-). It's kinda raunchy, though, may not be to your taste. If you want dance parties, DJs and indie bands, I find the Nightlife Agenda column of the Washington Post, which updates every Thursday, very useful.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Be prepared to be totally unimpressed and let down by the Nat's new stadium... thing looks like a bunch of random bleachers pieced together without a real view of the monuments, like they kept saying it would have, or a view of the river behind it.

Anyway, with the heat of late July, be sure you take a lazy evening trip to the Round Robin Bar and have a mint julep.

yeah, it's basically a rip-off of every other stadium built in the past 15 years. the food is better (and more expensive) than it was at RFK, though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The most sensible thing you can do in DC in late July is leave town.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
yeah, it's basically a rip-off of every other stadium built in the past 15 years. the food is better (and more expensive) than it was at RFK, though.
Try out the "Senator's Sausages" food stand, run by Larry Craig.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to go to the washingtonpost.com website and type in "going out gurus" in the search box. They have a blog and a weekly discussion of things to do in DC every Thursday from 1 PM to 2 PM EST. They enjoy taking questions like yours from out of towners.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Try out the "Senator's Sausages" food stand, run by Larry Craig.

Haha, my friends and I had to take a photo of that sign. That definitely had to go under the "WTF were they thinking" category.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy

Yeah, a poor rip-off too. It's like they tried to take the best elements of stadiums only to create a horrid mishmash. The food was definitely great though, which I guess distracts you from the team losing out on the field.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
A couple of things to do would be catch a free concert at Fort Reno Park. Don't worry about feeling like you won't blend- Indie hipsters get old too, and they like to bring their kids to the free shows.

Also catch the Eero Saarinen exhibition at the National Building Museum. Yikes, I'm running out of time, I'll have to check this out soon, too.

I also think DC is a great city to walk around, barring the recent random shooting. Having spent a lot of time in NY gives me a whole new appreciation for how not like NY DC is, in good ways and bad. The National Mall is just a totally unusual thing. It's also lovely walking on the paved trails on the Virginia side of the Potomac and looking over at the memorials and monuments. It's a nice walk over the Arlington Memorial Bridge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads