• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff that's "good enough"

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have actually stopped buying "good enough" stuff.
Of course, "good enough" is relative and for some people my best stuff would obviously not be good enough. But what I mean is that whereas some years ago I bought a lot of things, especially on sale, thinking that "well, this is good enough for this" and "this is good enough for that", although I did not like it a 100%, I know only buy things that I really like. I do not have a lot of space and I do not want to have a lot of clothes lying around. My problem with "just good enough" items is that I feel that I have to use them so as to wear them out before wearing the "really good" items out, but when I am wearing the "just good enough" ones, I miss the ones I really like. I do not buy a lot of clothes and when I buy something, I really want it to be something that I know I will be happy wearing.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Banana Republic goods on sale
Doc Martens
Costco shirts/pants/underwear/etc

+1 on the Costco undershirts. I've been sampling a mixture of Polo, 2Xist, and whatever crap I bought at a Nordstrom's rack, and I found that the Kirkland white six pack for $15 has been, by far, the best quality and value. 2Xist were the most lightweight, but they tend to get eaten by washing machines.

My casual clothing is usually "good enough"-- the designer sale section at SCOOP.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess there are two answers to this:

1. most of my clothing is "good enough" - I don't have a single suit by a "name" tailor or a single pair of shoes by an English or Italian cobler. all of my weekday clothes are bespoke, by pretty good asian tailors and shirtmakers. they are good enough for me, to the extent that I don't forsee ever switching to a European. My shoes are either off the rack pre-prada church or vass. sure, there may be better stuff, but it is good enough for me.

2. all of my weekend stuff is crap - tee shirts, shorts, hoodies and sweats from old navy. crocs. crappy sneakers. good enough for what I need.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a paid off 1996 Nissan 200 SX SER 10 miles up and back each day

clam61

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I have some shirts that are of a lower quality, 80s cotton for example, and they are noticeably stiffer and coarser than shirts costing just a little bit more made from 100s 2 ply cotton. I recently felt some shirts made from 120s and 140s and they certainly didn't feel nice enough to me to justify the huge jump in price.

I've found the same holds true with ties. I often can't tell the difference between an 80 dollar tie and a 200 dollar tie. But that 80 dollar tie looks and feels substantially better than a 40 dollar tie.

So quality is somewhat subjective (looks better, feels better, etc) and somewhat objective (lasts longer), and is extremely prone to the law of diminishing returns.

i agree and i think i wrote something about "it doesnt matter as long as the fabric falls nicely", meaning if an 80s cotton hangs as good as a 100s then go for it.

of course, softness etc. is a factor that you could consider. personally its not worth it to me.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Don't you guys find those Costco undershirts to be way too thick. They are almost like a sweater. Can't possibly wear them under a dress shirt.

Yes I agree. Also they are too long for me, they are 2" longer than any undershirt I have ever had, though maybe that's a plus for most people.

I bought one pack with high hopes, and although they are great quality, I returned them.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Add me to the C&J list, though mine are mostly benchgrade, and toss in Grenson/Stuart's Choice. I'm too rough on shoes to really justify spending more than the $100-$200 when the deals are out there.

Wow C and J are "good enough"!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Wow C and J are "good enough"!

Well, I never said they were bad!
smile.gif

"Good enough" means just that, good enough that I don't feel the need to move to the higher level of quality and cost.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic boxer shorts (on sale < $10) are actually quite good (covered waistband, notched legs, nice fabrics)

Most socks. I have a few pairs of nice wool socks but I mostly have cotton cheapos.

Pyjama pants from Old Navy or Calvin Klein

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Banana Republic goods on sale Doc Martens Costco shirts/pants/underwear/etc
Speaking of DM's. Their recent campaign using dead artists was in such terrible bad taste, I don't think I'd ever want to patronize that brand ever.
doccobain.jpg
2007_05_arts_joeyramone.jpg

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake shoes
Andrews ties
Landsend T-shirts, socks and jeans
Scottish-made cashmere sweaters that are not brand names
Seiko watch
VW Golf (I digress)

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Don't you guys find those Costco undershirts to be way too thick. They are almost like a sweater. Can't possibly wear them under a dress shirt.

maybe you want to wash them first? all mine fit just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads