1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

Most of us do. Sh*t is funny. Sorry if it's lost on you. [​IMG]

Does your first comment mean you think that people should put more value on "just sporting a storied label"? Because the theme is here stuff that's overvalued on SF, not stuff that's frequently stated.

he's being sarcastic I believe

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

pocketsquares

I'm a fan, but if you dont wear one it looks fine too. I'd rather see no pocketsquare than some of ways they're put into the pockets on this forum, like plants sprouting up with all these tendrils sticking out

3. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

Washboard abs at the beach. Mainly, cuz I don't have them.

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

pocketsquares

I'm a fan, but if you dont wear one it looks fine too...

I wanna say thank you, thank you, thank you...

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dare I add: Manton's opinion. I mean, Manton is great and he is very knowledgeable, but his opinion is just that - one man's opinion. Sometimes I feel like people hold their breath waiting for the final verdict... Manton's view.

With all due respect of course... [​IMG]

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

So what other stuffs do you think are overrated on Styleforum?
    Hand made items..

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Manton is great and he is very knowledgeable

+1

1 person likes this.
  8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

+1

[​IMG]

9. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Dare I add: Manton's opinion. I mean, Manton is great and he is very knowledgeable, but his opinion is just that - one man's opinion. Sometimes I feel like people hold their breath waiting for the final verdict... Manton's view.

Well said. I had the same thought but hesitated to post since Manton's opinion might not qualify as `stuff` per se. Also, since I am still new here, I was sure I would be vanquished from the forum for uttering such blasphemy. [​IMG]

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Really?

Now that I think about it, I actually cannot recall a single instance of Manton directly influencing what someone else then wears. This is because when he discusses dress, he usually addresses the relationship of style to historical antecedants, as Sator does to, uhm, pre-history. In the case of both gentlemen, the discussion of history is inevitably related to what was correct. What was correct once is often a great improvement to what is worn today.

But, I don't really see many people trying to dress like Manton, or Will, or Sator, or FNB, all of whom offer a bit of pedagogy in their posts to varying degrees of success. In contrast, I see quite a few people trying to dress like iammatt...and he's got no pedagogy going for him at all.

It's the difference between being interesting and influential.

- B

1 person likes this.
  11. djs488

djs488 Senior member

For all the fuss (IMO, appropriate) made about proper fit, I find people are rarely willing to pay for fit, only quality. This is particularly apparent in the lower price ranges in SW&D. People will rarely buy H&M or Zara -- generally good, slimmer fitting clothing -- at the same price range they would buy worse fitting, but better quality clothing. Perhaps this is indicative of some quality minimum that people just aren't willing to breach. One exception to this, albeit at a higher price range, would be BoO. People often buy BoO at retail for its unique fit, but the construction is not all that.

12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . . In contrast, I see quite a few people trying to dress like iammatt...and he's got no pedagogy going for him at all. . .
    I try to dress like the first derivative of iammatt.

13. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I'm about as interested in Anne Hathaway's ass as I am the rest of her.

What is it with you guys and butt sex? Its like the holy grail to you.

+1, boning the butt is overrated (unless you are gay, I guess)

14. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Now that I think about it, I actually cannot recall a single instance of Manton directly influencing what someone else then wears.

Then let me stand as a counterexample. Manton has often extolled the virtue of the double-breasted waistcoat, inspiring me to get two suits made up with them. I like the look, and it's served me well.

15. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Really?

Now that I think about it, I actually cannot recall a single instance of Manton directly influencing what someone else then wears. This is because when he discusses dress, he usually addresses the relationship of style to historical antecedants, as Sator does to, uhm, pre-history. In the case of both gentlemen, the discussion of history is inevitably related to what was correct. What was correct once is often a great improvement to what is worn today.

But, I don't really see many people trying to dress like Manton, or Will, or Sator, or FNB, all of whom offer a bit of pedagogy in their posts to varying degrees of success. In contrast, I see quite a few people trying to dress like iammatt...and he's got no pedagogy going for him at all.

It's the difference between being interesting and influential.

- B

I try to dress like Will.

16. voxsartoria

Then let me stand as a counterexample. Manton has often extolled the virtue of the double-breasted waistcoat, inspiring me to get two suits made up with them. I like the look, and it's served me well.

Dang. That reminds me that I'm thinking of getting a DB waistcoat myself, but I swear it isn't Mantonian in origin...then again, the mind plays tricks on you.

I try to dress like Will.

That's an excellent way to look like a gentleman.

- B

17. voxsartoria

I try to dress like the first derivative of iammatt.

You would.

- B

18. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

Just gotta say, this thread is so refreshing....a lot of posters venting about stuff that I have been thinking but too afraid to say (lol)

19. J Simulcik

J Simulcik Senior member

An autogyro en route to the Prussian consulate in
    pocketsquares

I'm a fan, but if you dont wear one it looks fine too. I'd rather see no pocketsquare than some of ways they're put into the pockets on this forum, like plants sprouting up with all these tendrils sticking out

Plant tendril-style is a legitimate medium.
    (For SOME) <- Styleforum's only real rule: If you have to ask...

20. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

tiger02's meaty thighs
    vox's tight bike shorts/bike pic
    conne's douchiness