• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff Styleforum Rates Well

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
In all seriousness, I think it's beyond steam. I'm going to take it to Tiecrafters some time and see what can be done.

Have you considered sending it back to Rubinacci?

Given that you are a good customer, they might even take pity on you and send you a new one if they can't resuscitate it.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Have you considered sending it back to Rubinacci?

Given that you are a good customer, they might even take pity on you and send you a new one if they can't resuscitate it.

- B

I don't know how good a customer I am, but I figured sending it Naples by mail is probably a bigger pain ********** than taking the subway downtown a few stops and paying 20-30 bucks.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. It makes me sad to even look. But to sum up: the original crease of the tie is gone, so that it is now folded asymmetrically, and the area that normally forms the knot is crinkled so badly that the tie won't lie flat anymore.
What in the world did you do to it?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What in the world did you do to it?

I put it on too quickly after steaming it, so the silk was still slightly moist. The weight of my jacket must have pressed a new fold into it and erased the old one; the knot did its own damage. The lesson learned is not to beware Rubinacci seven-folds, but to not be an idiot and put your tie on right after steaming it.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do other people steam their ties? Am I missing out on something>

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

No.

Mafoo, I think Vox is right. Tiecrafters has been hit or miss for me, better than anyone else, but if it were a tie I loved, and the maker were willing to take it back and try to rejuivinate it, I would go to the trouble to send it to him.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, I don't normally. Usually hanging them up for a couple of days does the trick. But I was travelling at the time and the tie had gotten a little wrinkled in my suitcase and I had to go to a business lunch. I only noticed the wrinkles that morning and needed to get them out fast.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know how good a customer I am, but I figured sending it Naples by mail is probably a bigger pain ********** than taking the subway downtown a few stops and paying 20-30 bucks.

I'm not sure that I would trust an unlined 7 to TieCrafters, much as I like them for surgery normal 3s. I had my Charvets narrowed there, and while the work was satisfactory, I would give them a seven out of ten.

Why not wait until senior or junior Rubinacci come into town? Buy him a drink, chat, and then share the story of how you tortured their tie...I bet he would be highly amused and offer to see what his staff could do with it.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

n00b.

51X2N97F3TL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The problem was obviously Mafoo's choice of steamer ethnicity.

Well, he used the bottom rack and you're not supposed to do that with 7-folds.

This is covered in great detail on the advanced forum.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, I don't normally. Usually hanging them up for a couple of days does the trick. But I was travelling at the time and the tie had gotten a little wrinkled in my suitcase and I had to go to a business lunch. I only noticed the wrinkles that morning and needed to get them out fast.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Deja vu?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

USPS would charge you far less than 30 bucks to send a tie to Italy using First Class Mail. Just put it in a bubble mailer, and voila.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads