• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studying Abroad in Italy-What to pack/wear?

dressedforsuccess

Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be studying abroad in Italy this next semester, from Jan. 23 to May 12. That being said, I need to figure out what to pack clothing wise. I've heard to not pack too much as you buy stuff over there, so no worries there but what should I pack clothing wise? I'd like to not stick out like a sore thumb with my dress if that helps with any suggestions. I can figure out the number of stuff I would need, but I would like to hear (preferably from those who have spent some time in Italy) what all I should wear to not look like a tourist (and yes I do speak Italian if that matters). Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Euro is still expensive compared to dollars (at least according to my trip last March). Pack like any other trip - bring some super casual ****, some neutrals that can be dressed up and down (blazer, dark jeans, some nicer button up shirts, sneakers, dress shoes, nice boots). Since you'll be there a while, maybe bring 2 weeks worth of underwear as you'll likely toss some of them and buy new ones eventually. A carry on bag and one larger check in bag will probably be enough you pack well (roll don't fold, stuff socks/underwear in shoes, etc.) Since it's winter here you can get away with wearing some of your heavier things on the flight (jacket, sweater) which should free up space/weight in your checked in bag.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything Armani .... that's unless the Italians hate it as well.

Last edited:

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah anything with expensive (British/US) logo is a winner. A+F, Fperry all that kinda crap. Make sure pack warm but fairly stylish stuff. Leave baseball cap in 'Bamy.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW- WTF is Alabama Crimson Tide? sounds like a sanitary pad manufacturer. ' Proudly since 1945' or similar...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They love Burberry's scarves, Barbour and Church's shoes..

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White pants, navy jacket, scarf, pale blue/lavendar shirt, and ray bans. :slayer:

Last edited:

dressedforsuccess

Reaction score

BTW- WTF is Alabama Crimson Tide? sounds like a sanitary pad manufacturer. ' Proudly since 1945' or similar...

"How the Crimson Tide Got its Name:

In early newspaper accounts of Alabama football, the team was simply listed as the "varsity" or the "Crimson White" after the school colors.

The first nickname to become popular and used by headline writers was the "Thin Red Line." The nickname was used until 1906.

The name "Crimson Tide" is supposed to have first been used by Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald. He used "Crimson Tide" in describing an Alabama-Auburn game played in Birmingham in 1907, the last football contest between the two schools until 1948 when the series was resumed. The game was played in a sea of mud and Auburn was a heavy favorite to win.

But, evidently, the "Thin Red Line" played a great game in the red mud and held Auburn to a 6-6 tie, thus gaining the name "Crimson Tide." Zipp Newman, former sports editor of the Birmingham News, probably popularized the name more than any other writer."

And thanks for all the great replies guys! Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlist.htm

What to Pack
Shirts/blouses. Bring up to five short-sleeved or long-sleeved shirts or blouses in a cotton/polyester blend. Arrange mix according to season.
Sweater or Lightweight Fleece. Warm and dark is best — for layering and dressing up. Dark colors don't show wrinkles or stains.
Pants. Bring two pairs: one lightweight cotton and another super-lightweight for hot and muggy big cities and churches with modest dress codes. Jeans can be too hot for summer travel. Many like lightweight convertible pants/shorts with zip-off legs. Button-down wallet pockets are safest (though still not as thief-proof as a money belt, described below).
Shorts. Take a pair with pockets — doubles as a swimsuit for men.
Swimsuit. Especially for women.
Underwear and socks. Bring five sets (lighter dries quicker). Cotton/nylon-blend socks dry faster than 100-percent cotton, which lose their softness when air-dried.
Pajamas/nightgown. Especially for women.
One pair of shoes. Take a broken-in, light, and cool pair, with Vibram-type soles and good traction. (I like shoes by Ecco). Sturdy, low-profile tennis shoes with a good tread are fine, too. (Some people bring along an extra pair of sandals in case the shoes get wet.) For winter travel, bring heavy shoes (for warmth and to stay dry).
Jacket. Bring a light and water-resistant windbreaker with a hood. Gore-Tex is good if you expect rain. For summer travel, I wing it without rain gear — but always pack for rain in Britain and Ireland.
Tie or scarf. For instant respectability, bring anything lightweight that can break the monotony and make you look snazzy.
Money belt. This hidden pouch — strapped around your waist and tucked under your clothes — is essential for the peace of mind it brings. You could lose everything except your money belt, and the trip could still go on. Lightweight and low-profile beige is best.
Money. Bring your preferred mix of a credit card, a debit card, and a small emergency stash of hard cash. I rely on a debit card for ATM withdrawals, and a credit card with a PIN number as a backup.
Documents and photocopies. Bring your passport, plane ticket (or e-ticket printout), railpass or car-rental voucher, driver's license, student ID, hostel card, and so on. Photocopies and a couple of passport-type photos can help you get replacements more quickly if the originals are lost or stolen. Carry photocopies separately in your luggage and keep the originals in your money belt. In your luggage, you'll also want to pack a careful record of all reservations (print out your hotels' confirmation emails), along with a trip calendar page to keep things up-to-date as your trip evolves.
Small daypack. A lightweight pack is great for carrying your sweater, camera, literature, and picnic goodies while you leave your large bag at the hotel or train station. Fanny packs (small bags with thief-friendly zippers on a belt) are an alternative, but are magnets for pickpockets and should never be used as money belts.
Electronics. From preserving memories of your trip to keeping in touch with people at home, electronics can enhance your vacation. Consider packing along the following gadgets: camera (and associated gear); mobile phone or smartphone (see Travel Smarter with a Smartphone); iPod or other MP3 player; and a laptop, netbook, or tablet computer. For each item, remember to bring a charger and/or extra batteries (you can buy batteries in Europe, but they cost more).
Water bottle. The plastic half-liter mineral water bottles sold throughout Europe are reusable and work great. If you bring one from home, make sure it's empty before you go through airport security (fill it at a fountain once you're through).
Wristwatch. A built-in alarm is handy. Otherwise, pack a small travel alarm clock. At budget hotels, wake-up calls are particularly unreliable.
Earplugs. If night noises bother you, you'll love a good set of expandable foam plugs.
Toiletries kit. Sinks in cheap hotels come with meager countertop space and anonymous hairs. If you have a nylon toiletries kit that can hang on a hook or a towel bar, this is no problem. Put all squeeze bottles in sealable plastic baggies, since pressure changes in flight can cause even good bottles to leak. (If you plan to carry on your bag, all liquids and gels must be in 3.4-ounce or smaller containers, and all of these items must fit within a single, quart-size sealable plastic baggie.) Consider a vacation from cosmetics. Bring a little toilet paper or tissue packets(sold at all newsstands in Europe). Fingernail clippers and tweezers are also handy.
Medicine and vitamins. Keep medicine in original containers, if possible, with legible prescriptions.
First-aid kit.
Eyeglasses, contact lenses, and prescriptions. Contact solutions are widely available in Europe, but because of dust and smog, many travelers find their contacts aren't as comfortable in Europe. I wear my glasses, and I don't pack a spare pair, but I do bring a photocopy of my prescription just in case.
Sunscreen and sunglasses. If your destination and the season warrant it, bring sunglasses and buy sunscreen in Europe.
Sealable plastic baggies. Bring a variety of sizes. In addition to holding your carry-on liquids, they're ideal for packing leftover picnic food, containing wetness, and bagging potential leaks before they happen. The two-gallon jumbo size is handy for packing clothing. Bring extras for the flight home, as they can be hard to find in Europe.
Soap. Not all hotels provide soap. A plastic squeeze bottle of concentrated, multipurpose, biodegradable liquid soap is handy for laundry and more. In the interest of traveling friendlier to our environment, I never use the hotel bathroom "itsy-bitsies," preferring my own bar of soap or bottle of shampoo.
Clothesline. Hang it up in your hotel room to dry your clothes. The handy twisted-rubber type needs no clothespins.
Small towel. You'll find bath towels at all fancy and moderately priced hotels, and most cheap ones. Although $50-a-day travelers will often need to bring their own towel, $120-a-day folks won't. I bring a thin hand towel for the occasional need. Washcloths are rare in Europe. While I don't use them, many travelers recommend quick-drying microfiber towels.
Sewing kit. Clothes age rapidly while traveling. Take along a few safety pins and extra buttons.
Travel information. Rip out appropriate chapters from guidebooks and staple them together. When you're done, give them away.
Map. Get a map best suited to your trip's overall needs, then pick up maps for specific local areas as you go.
Address list. To keep in touch, many travelers write blogs or send mass emails as they travel. But if you prefer to mail postcards, consider printing your mail list onto a sheet of adhesive address labels before you leave. You'll know exactly who you've written to, and the labels will be perfectly legible.
Postcards from home and photos of your family. A small collection of show-and-tell pictures (either digital or paper) is always a great conversation piece with Europeans you meet.
Small notepad and pen. A tiny notepad in your back pocket is a great organizer, reminder, and communication aid (for sale in European stationery stores).
Journal. An empty book to be filled with the experiences of your trip will be your most treasured souvenir. Attach a photocopied calendar page of your itinerary. Use a hardbound type designed to last a lifetime, rather than a spiral notebook. My custom-designed Rick Steves Travel Journals are rugged, simple blank books that come in two sizes. Another great brand, with a nearly cult following among travel writers, is Moleskine (also available at my Travel Store).
Weather-specific variations. In cold weather, silk long johns are great for layering, weigh next to nothing, and dry quickly. Bring gloves and some kind of warm hat to beat the cold. On winter trips, I bring comfy slippers with leather soles — great for the flight and for getting cozy in my hotel room. Wear shoes that are water-resistant or waterproof in the rainy season. If you're fair-skinned or prone to sunburn, bring a light, crushable, wide-brimmed hat for sunny days. Lightweight, light-colored clothes are more comfortable in very hot weather.
Optional Bring-Alongs
Picnic supplies. Bring or buy a small tablecloth to give your meal some extra class (and to wipe the knife on), salt and pepper, a cup, a spoon, a washcloth (to dampen and store in a baggie for cleaning up), and a Swiss Army–type knife with a corkscrew and can opener (or buy the knife in Europe if you want to carry your luggage on the plane). A plastic plate is handy for picnic dinners in your hotel room.
Packing cubes. These see-through, zip-up mesh containers keep your clothes tightly packed and well-organized.
Clothes compressor. This handy invention — I like the one by Flat Pack — allows you to pack bulky clothes (such as sweaters and jackets) without taking up too much space or creating wrinkles. Simply put the item in the bag, roll it up to force the air out through the one-way nozzles, and pack it away.
Shirt-folding board. Eagle Creek's Pack-It Folder is a lightweight mesh container that comes with a thin board specially designed to fold and carry shirts with minimal wrinkling.
Small packet of tissues. Stick one of these — sold at newsstands and pharmacies throughout Europe — in your daypack, in case you wind up at a bathroom with no toilet paper.
Sweatshirt/pants. Use for pajamas, evening lounge outfit, instant modest street wear, smuggling things, and going down the hall.
Spot remover. Bring Shout wipes or a dab of Goop grease remover in a small plastic container.
Sandals or flip-flops.
Inflatable pillow (or "neck rest"). For snoozing in planes, trains, and automobiles. Many travelers also swear by an eye mask for blocking out early-rising or late-setting sun.
Pillowcase. It's cleaner and possibly more comfortable to stuff your own.
Hair dryer. These are generally provided in $100-plus hotel rooms. If you can't risk a bad-hair day, bring your own, but don't forget a plug adapter.
Universal drain-stopper. Some hotel sinks and tubs have no stoppers. This flat, flexible plastic disc — which works with any size drain — allows you to wash your clothes or take a bath. (A balled-up sock works in a pinch, too.)
Hostel sheet. Bring one along (choose silk or cotton), or rent a sheet at hostels for about $4 per stay. It doubles as a beach or picnic blanket, comes in handy on overnight train rides, shields you from dirty blankets in mountain huts, and will save you money in other dorm-type accommodations.
Tiny lock. Use it to lock your backpack zippers shut. Note that if you check your bag on a flight, the lock may be broken to allow the bag to be inspected. Improve the odds of your lock's survival by buying one approved by the TSA (Transportation Security Administration, the agency responsible for airport security). While you'll unlock the TSA-approved lock with a combination, security agents can open the lock without damaging it by using a special master key.
Small flashlight. Handy for reading under the sheets after "lights out" in the hostel, late-night trips down the hall, exploring castle dungeons, and hypnotizing street thieves. Tiny-but-powerful LED flashlights — about the size of your little finger — are extremely bright, compact, and lightweight.
An iPod (or other MP3/video player) or radio. Partners can bring a Y-jack for two sets of earphones. Some travelers use digital recorders to capture pipe organs, tours, or journal entries. A small, portable radio adds a new dimension to your experience.
Adapters. Europe's electrical outlets are different from ours.
Office supplies. Bring paper, an envelope of envelopes (for letter writers), and some sticky notes (such as Post-Its) to keep your place in your guidebook.
Small roll of duct tape.
Mailing tube. Great for art lovers, this protects the posters and prints you buy along your trip. You can trim it to fit inside your backpack (though this obviously limits the dimensions of the posters you can carry).
A good paperback. There's plenty of empty time on a trip to either be bored or enjoy some good reading. If you're desperate, popular English-language paperbacks are often available in European airports and major train stations (usually for far more than their North American price). An e-book reader (such as Kindle or iPad) will do the trick, too.
Insect repellent. Check your desination; especially for France and Italy.
Collapsible umbrella. I like one that's small and compact, but still sturdy and well-constructed enough to withstand strong winds.
Poncho. Hard-core vagabonds use a poncho — more versatile than a tarp — as protection in a rainstorm, a ground cloth for sleeping, or a beach or picnic blanket.
Gifts. Local hosts appreciate small souvenirs from your hometown (gourmet candy or crafts). Local kids love T-shirts and small toys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads