• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Study Shows Some Americans Would Choose Divorce, Depression & Alcoholism Over Obesity

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the article.

There's a story to mention about someone's obesity being negatively perceived, but you'll hear it later.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
How do you define addiction?

mr_economy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
What's sad is that this appears to be exactly what is happening. A new study apparently found that many people who have bariatric surgery transfer their addictions to other things such as gambling, alcohol or shopping...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...sfer18-ON.html

That's not surprising. Crash diets, crazy gizmos, and even some bariatric surgeries are only further exacerbating whatever problems exist - they treat symptoms of a problem rather than the problem itself.

The problem is a lack of self control. With the exception of those rare few whose bodies have truly turned against them, obesity occurs because a person lacks the self control to regulate what he/she eats and whether or not he/she stays active.

It seems to me a proper treatment program for addictions such as these ought to include training in self control - meditation, yoga, etc. If one learns self-control, then one is capable of defeating essentially any pyschological addiction. I emphasize psychological, because even the most controlled individuals are still at risk of becoming physically dependent on certain chemicals.

The problem of obesity is further exacerbated by this "quick fix" mentality that people get stuck in their heads. Whether out of laziness (the usual), or sheer desperation, people decide they need to do crazy things to their bodies - no-carb, all-liquid, zero-fat, and all this other nonsense these "diet gurus" are pulling out of their bums. Everybody wants the weight off tomorrow, but that simply will not happen. Again, it can happen instantly with radical surgery, but that does nothing to treat the underlying causes.

Patients considered for bariatric surgery for obesity that is not due to a malfunctioning lymphatic system should have to undergo serious self-control training before the surgery, otherwise it is only inviting transferral of the addiction(s).

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Mr. E:

While I agree with your post, it seems logic is trumped by instant gratification and the two seldom intersect. Part of the problem also arises from placing a price on everything, allowing to us to ravel in our cynisism whilst knowing the value on nothing.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In many cases, people gain a significant amount of weight after weight-loss surgery. Some others suffer permanent (or even fatal) complications from the surgery.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes what.... 6 months to get in really good shape.

Took me like.... 6 YEARS to train Jill?

Nah, definately take obese over divorce.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carlo
It takes what.... 6 months to get in really good shape.

Took me like.... 6 YEARS to train Jill?

Nah, definately take obese over divorce.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LEt that be a lesson to you kids: Put down those ho-ho's and get on the jungle jim, FAST!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm one of the most prejudiced people I know....and fat people are definitely on top of my hate list. Death>Obesity

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads