• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Study Dispels Myth of Post-Workout Fat Burn

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new research clarifies a misunderstanding that exercisers can ignore their diet after a workout because their metabolism is in this super active state.

"It's not that exercise doesn't burn fat," said Edward Melanson, associate professor of medicine at the University of Colorado, "It's just that we replace the calories. People think they have a license to eat whatever they want, and our research shows that is definitely not the case. You can easily undo what you set out to do."
I've never heard or read anyone giving exercise and diet advice say this.

meauounji

Reaction score
Actually this is the first time I've heard of the "myth" in the first place. I've always thought it was somewhat obvious that you use energy (calories) when performing activities and don't when you don't.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gym is loaded with folk who do a 20 minute circuit and then think it gives them a license to eat whatever since they system is revved for the rest of the day. Obviously, they are looking for an excuse to eat. However, the manner in which popular media communicates diet and exercise information, I am not surprised as to the prevalence of this myth.

alebrady

Reaction score
i disagree with those that dont feel this is 'new'. the fact is, you can pick up any number of fitness books from the bookstore, mens health, muscle & fitness, whatever - and almost every one of them will indicate that you will burn more calories in the 24 hours after a workout. in fact, the whole notion of HIIT is fundamentally based on the premise that its not the amount of calories you burn during the actual workout but rather the amount of calories you burn when not working out (i.e. the post workout burn, again)

now, there are some caveats attached to the above claim (i.e. the resistance training can not be exceedingly 'easy', the cardio has to have periods of high intensity, etc.). AND of course, all the above literature clearly indicates that you cant just eat what you want.

so, the OP's link certainly is quite contradictory to a guiding principle of fat burn and working out that is out there in the mainstream.

i wouldnt presume to know which is correct, however, it is disheartening to hear there may not be the added calorie burn subsequent to a good workout

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keep in mind it was specifically studying low/moderate intensity workouts.

riraito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Keep in mind it was specifically studying low/moderate intensity workouts.
yeah often people tend to misinterpret results by not being critical of the design and methodology of the experiment

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I read of this "myth" in Michael Colgan's book Optimum Sports Nutrition, but that was 15 years ago. I switched to morning workouts and lost significant weight - which I attribute to the switch. But, iirc, Colgan cautions you to never load your plate up: keep your meals light or your metabolism stalls out, and he never tells you to just eat what you like post-workout.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the fact is, you can pick up any number of fitness books from the bookstore, mens health, muscle & fitness, whatever - and almost every one of them will indicate that you will burn more calories in the 24 hours after a workout.
That's not even remotely similar to the claim that there's a broad "misunderstanding that exercisers can ignore their diet after a workout because their metabolism is in this super active state."

No mainstream fitness/diet publication will tell you that, not even the ones giving otherwise stupid advice. "You biked for 20 minutes, go 'head and eat that XXL pizza by yourself!" - bullshit.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
That's not even remotely similar to the claim that there's a broad "misunderstanding that exercisers can ignore their diet after a workout because their metabolism is in this super active state."

No mainstream fitness/diet publication will tell you that, not even the ones giving otherwise stupid advice. "You biked for 20 minutes, go 'head and eat that XXL pizza by yourself!" - bullshit.

as i indicated in my post, i was setting aside the ridiculous notion that you can eat what you want.

there is not much ambiguity in the quote:

"The same study, using the same test groups, found the post-exercise rate of calorie burn did not change on days of lifting versus no lifting. It is true that a pound of muscle burns seven to ten calories per day versus only two calories per day for a pound of fat. However, the average adult just doesn't put on enough lean muscle mass to make this difference significant"

So, perhaps there is a gain due to the added muscle - the question they seem to be posing is how material is that added benefit - say you put on 20 lbs of muscle. you burn (generously) 160 extra calories per day? what is that - a couple egss? two slices of bread? its not particularly significant.

surprisingly, the article also states:

"Clearly, exercise intensity does not have an effect on daily fat balance, if intake is unchanged."

which would suggest that even in a high intesity workout, there is no post workout benefit?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady

surprisingly, the article also states:

"Clearly, exercise intensity does not have an effect on daily fat balance, if intake is unchanged."

which would suggest that even in a high intesity workout, there is no post workout benefit?

All that is saying is that if your intake equals your expenditure then you wont lose fat, regardless of how intense your workout is or if a post workout benefit exists or not.

alebrady

Reaction score
i understand the quote. i am questioning the fundamental notion of 'expenditure'. the article seems to suggest that meaningful or material expenditure is limited to the duration of the workout...and this is inconsistent with the notion of higher metabolism rates post workout.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads