1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Studio 60, Aaron Sorkin's new TV project

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by SGladwell, Apr 13, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

You sound an awful lot like someone who came into age politically during these nightmare years. Rest assured that government wasn't always this bad.

I am sorry, but this statement is just wrong. Ever since LBJ, and definitely since '71, young people have felt like government did not work. The youth of America disliked LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Reagan and Bush 1. Many felt betrayed by Clinton and most hate Bush 2. I think that it is a matter of:

1) the leftover angst of adolescence
    2) the lack of real political education before the age of 21
    3) that they have not seen that every administration has its failings but that the reason the systesm works is that it was built to make sure that bad individuals could not radically effect the entire system.

Arethusa is a great example of 1 & 3 and possibly 2 as well. The whole point of our constitution is that it is one of institutions and not of strong individuals. That fact lessens the ability of any one person do do excess harm (or good) and preserves the system for us to pass on to the next generation.

2. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Arethusa is a great example of 1 & 3 and possibly 2 as well. The whole point of our constitution is that it is one of institutions and not of strong individuals. That fact lessens the ability of any one person do do excess harm (or good) and preserves the system for us to pass on to the next generation.

Well, I think that depends. If you get rot at the head of all three branches of government at once - i.e. the current situation - then a great deal of harm can be effected in a shockingly short timeframe in our system. Admittedly, it takes longer than it would in other systems, for example Italy's condition since that little crook assumed power. But five years will certainly do it.

3. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

In all honesty, the dialogue almost always felt like a stitched together collection of What Aaron Sorkin Learned This Week. The quotations, the references, and the laws were always banal and far too often apocryphal.

This, I totally disagree with. The dialogue wasn't always amazing under Sorkin, but when it worked--and it worked often--it was as musical and rhythmic and exciting as Mamet, just without the profanity. His dialogue could be an art form. The fact that it was so characteristic and individual as to spawn plenty of parody and guides like the one linked on "how to write for TWW" is just the highest form of compliment. His point was never to be naturalistic in his dialogue, it was to be musical and poetic.

I agree that when he was in a slump, though, it really did feel like "a stitched-together collection of What Aaron Sorkin Learned This Week." I just think it was worth it for the really amazing moments.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, I think that depends. If you get rot at the head of all three branches of government at once - i.e. the current situation - then a great deal of harm can be effected in a shockingly short timeframe in our system. Admittedly, it takes longer than it would in other systems, for example Italy's condition since that little crook assumed power. But five years will certainly do it.

I think that our country has endured worse and longer. You really ought to have a bit more faith in it.

5. ATM

ATM Senior member

I think that our country has endured worse and longer. You really ought to have a bit more faith in it.
    I agree.
    [​IMG]

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I agree.
    [​IMG]

Brother, can you spare a dime?

Jon.

7. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

The title of this thread is really throwing me off, I see it out of the corner of my eye everytime I log on. Now I know how Slim must feel...

A.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

That was my thought too. I have no idea what this Studio 60 is.

Halston used to get a little too frisky.

Yeah, when Halston broke out the amyl-nitrate, many got nervous.

9. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

More about Studio 60: apparently another comedy superstar, DL Hughley, is involved. Should be a blast!

10. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I understand that Judd Hirsch's character does an extended, furious riff on the banality of reality tv and the decline of television programming in general that is not to be missed. First episode, I think, but I'm not sure. According to an 'extra' who was on set when he was shooting, the cast and crew were practically blown away by his performance (for whatever that's worth).