1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Student/Teacher Clash

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 3orangewhips, Dec 15, 2008.

1. 3orangewhips

3orangewhips Well-Known Member

Why didn't this happen when I was in high school?

I bet it did.

Today: tan jacket, maroonish sweater vest, white shirt, black tie, blue pin-stripe pants. They said, again, the odd jacket doesn't match. I think they are comfortable with matching like colors and jeans only.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I bet it did.

Today: tan jacket, maroonish sweater vest, white shirt, black tie, blue pin-stripe pants. They said, again, the odd jacket doesn't match. I think they are comfortable with matching like colors and jeans only.

I'm not feeling any love for that combo, either. Who wears a tan jacket during the winter?!? And pinstriped pants for that matter.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I think they're right.

Too much contrast in the black and tan, and i dont like tan with white.

Replace the black tie with navy, and you're getting closer. You might also consider Brown pants rather then blue.
    Replace the white shirt with light blue.

No pinstripes on the pants.....and as thomas mentioned ditch the tan jacket in the winter, your a teacher, break out the tweed.

What of the socks and shoes?

they may not "know", but they're responding simply to how the feel, and their is something to be said for that, i think if you were pulling off these looks correctly they would be complimenting you.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

so this post is about teenage girls or matching? i'm confused.

Matching teenage girls, I think.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I think they're right.

Too much contrast in the black and tan, and i dont like tan with white.

Replace the black tie with navy, and you're getting closer. You might also consider Brown pants rather then blue.
    Replace the white shirt with light blue.

No pinstripes on the pants.....and as thomas mentioned ditch the tan jacket in the winter, your a teacher, break out the tweed.

What of the socks and shoes?

they may not "know", but they're responding simply to how the feel, and their is something to be said for that, i think if you were pulling off these looks correctly they would be complimenting you.

I think the girls see the white shirt/black tie combo and think "geek squad" - particularly in the daytime. Not even Brad Pitt can pull that off. Change the tie to a dark jewel tone (navy, hunter green, burgundy). Frankly I'd lose the black tie altogether but that's just me. Have you considered going tie-less, or is that part of the dress code?

Sweater vest plus tweed jacket is fine, but one of them should be gray or navy. Sweater vest plus worsted or flannel jacket is a travesty IMHO.

One of my winter mainstays is to pull on a charcoal suit with a pale colored (or white) turtleneck.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Flannel + vest sounds pretty dope. Next time I post one of my boring TB fits I'll wear a flannel TB suit and some sort of tight sweater or vest, looks cool IMHO.

7. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Lucky you! The kids sound delightful.

Yea.... when they are not fist fighting in the middle of class[​IMG]

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

SO, 3orangewhips, what are you wearing today and how savage are those little darlings in your class today?

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I think it sounds lie you have your own, well defined style. Might not be what some of us would wear, but it does establish your personality at school. Good for you.

I had a(male) teacher who wore pink shirts everyday for decades. It was part of his 'trademark'

10. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Most 15-16 year old girls know absolutely nothing about anything and are basically sheep. Only some of them grow out of this phase.

a more polite form of a friend's father's summary: "women know fuck about shit", which I always like the sound of. I'm sure teenage American schoolgirls are absolutely no exception to this.