• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Student/Teacher Clash

3orangewhips

Reaction score
I wore a navy blazer with grey pants, a maroon tie (with white, light blue and black stripes) and a light blue shirt today, and a bunch of my 5th period girls said I didn't match. I have no way to upload pics, but what gives?!?

3orangewhips

Reaction score
Oh, sure, but was their assessment of my stylez correct or incorrect? I THROW MYSELF ON THE MERCY OF THE SF... such as it is.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
They saw you, we didn't even get a picture so, for now, I'd go with their collective wisdom. Tell them a very pretty man on the internet agrees with them.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women of any age know nothing about classic menswear. (Well, nearly all of them, anyway.) Without seeing it, your ensemble sounds tasteful and classic to me. Why on earth would you expect 5th form girls to be arbitrae elegantiae?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Women of any age know nothing about classic menswear. (Well, nearly all of them, anyway.) Without seeing it, your ensemble sounds tasteful and classic to me. Why on earth would you expect 5th form girls to be arbitrae elegantiae?

Because they saw him so if he was akward they'd know, they can smell your fear and discomfort from a mile away which allows them to exchange the cruellest comments known to man.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're probably just not used to seeing an odd jacket with trousers. They probably thought, "Why is Mr. 3orangwhips wearing gray suit pants with a blue jacket? Silly Mr. 3orangewhips."

Remember, these are FIFTH graders we're talking about here.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
They're probably just not used to seeing an odd jacket with trousers. They probably thought, "Why is Mr. 3orangwhips wearing gray suit pants with a blue jacket? Silly Mr. 3orangewhips."

Remember, these are FIFTH graders we're talking about here.

FIFTH period.

3orangewhips

Reaction score
They are 15 or 16, but largely uninitiated to the world of men's clothing. Is it possible that our sensitivities are learned and not inherent.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
FIFTH period.

Originally Posted by 3orangewhips
They are 15 or 16, but largely uninitiated to the world of men's clothing. Is it possible that our sensitivities are learned and not inherent.

I'm a mess today.

DSCF1225.jpg

3orangewhips

Reaction score
Other adults say it matches. Teenage girls say it clashes. Keep in mind, the main vocal agitator is wearing jeans and super shiney shoes. The other is wearing a grey hoodie with pink and white peace signs and skulls.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most 15-16 year old girls know absolutely nothing about anything and are basically sheep. Only some of them grow out of this phase.

X-Calibre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3orangewhips
Other adults say it matches. Teenage girls say it clashes. Keep in mind, the main vocal agitator is wearing jeans and super shiney shoes. The other is wearing a grey hoodie with pink and white peace signs and skulls.
One might infer that you are way too concerned what teenage girls think of your outfit. I propose a novel solution, why not teach/have a class on men's fashion or somehow work it into your class somehow? If you teach science you can do something with color/optics, english or social studies would be easy, math would be difficult. You've stumbled on something they are interested in, how often does a teacher manage to do that intentionally?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Most 15-16 year old girls know absolutely nothing about anything and are basically sheep. Only some of them grow out of this phase.

Others get a sex change operation in Maroc and join the forum?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads