• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Student] pants suggestion?

GreenGranted

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Since this is my first post, a quick introduction: I'm a 20 year old student of physics, I live in Amsterdam and I recently developed a big interest in style. I started to build a better wardrobe a few months ago, mainly using masculine-style.com as a guide.

I went from jeans and short sleeved t-shirt always (even in winter, hahah) to a decently dressed guy. Since everybody around me dresses in jeans and graphic hoodies all winter, after a few substitutes I'm already above 90% of the guys.

The pants I most regularly wear to college are my dark jeans and my beige chino's. I also have a nice pair of lighter jeans I sometimes wear.

I feel like I'm always wearing the same pants, but I don't know exactly what kind of pants will compliment my wardrobe at this point. Louder color chino's perhaps? I also notice some very well dressed guys are wearing wool pants to great effect, but I could find very little info on which one to buy to start out, or how to combine it with the rest of my wardrobe.

For the record: I mostly wear button up shirts (often with a pattern), with or without v-neck sweater / blazer.

Thanks in advance!

Ledbury

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
GreenGranted,

Welcome to Styleforum! As a student, I know how tempting it can be to purchase what I've seen online. However, I'd be wary about wearing louder color chinos, but instead opt for a neutral color such as grey or olive. Consider focusing on developing a stronger foundation by trying different fabrics and subtle patterns in a neutral palette.

I'm unfamiliar with Masculine-Style, but I'll give it a look. I've found this post helpful for purchase decisions.

Here's an example of a solid line-up.

Do you mind sharing your size/price point?

Tavish, Intern

GreenGranted

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

Olive chino sounds like a good idea. I'm never fast on buying anything, but thanks for the tip ;)

I'm around 1.74 m in height, athletic build. In the Netherlands, this translates to a S for almost anything, or 32/28 for jeans. I think between 50 - 100 euros is appropriate to spend on a nice pair of pants. I'd rather build up slowly with good items than go too fast.

Miekka

Reaction score
You could check out Scotch and Soda given that you live in Amsterdam; I personally don't like S&S because I find it slightly too casual but it's closer to your budget. Otherwise you might want to check out some lower costing Italian brands like Cockrane, or Braddock. I find that those two brands have a nice cut for under €100.
Honestly, I think it's a bit difficult to find a really nice pair of pants for under €100. Be careful to not overlook the details; make sure at the least that the stitches are straight (I've seen scotch and soda trousers with crooked waistband stitching for example), that the pants have an inner waistband skirt (even if its stitched down)...
When you are ready either financially or emotionally I would stop wearing low-cut waist pants and opt for trousers at a higher price point (I imagine that is what you currently wear). High waists are more classic, more elegant. You'll find really good stuff in the range of €200 - €250 for cottons and upwards for wool. Like you said you'd rather build up slowly with good pieces so maybe consider this price range already. Look for very clean construction, high quality fabrics, sartorial inner waistband skirts, hand sewn details etc...
I'm not supposed to promote myself on styleforum so I won't unless you ask, but if you can manage to find my prelaunch site on your own thats another story...
Best of luck...

Ledbury

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

Olive chino sounds like a good idea. I'm never fast on buying anything, but thanks for the tip ;)

I'm around 1.74 m in height, athletic build. In the Netherlands, this translates to a S for almost anything, or 32/28 for jeans. I think between 50 - 100 euros is appropriate to spend on a nice pair of pants. I'd rather build up slowly with good items than go too fast.
You're welcome.

Based on what you've told me, I'd recommend the following items:

http://www.kafka.co.uk/sale/item/Brand_DailyLtPantMetal_243_0_11800_0.html

http://www.kafka.co.uk/sale/item/Brand_SIssueCanvasChinoOlive_243_0_13346_0.html

Better photos for the Apolis pant are available here: http://store.apolisglobal.com/bottoms/standard-issue-utility-chino/#army

Please let me know if this is helpful.

realkingo

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about your height (175) and rather have an athletic build (about 71kg).

For me Suit Supply works very well.
They have great chino, wool and cargo pants.

Have a look at their spring/summer collection, especially the camo cargo pants or off-white/orange/olive chino pants might do it.
http://eu.suitsupply.com/pre-order/Pre-Order,de,sc.html

Also trying Peek&Cloppenburg and their home brands such as Jake*s or Paul Rosen might be an idea (but rather pay the 100€ for the Suit Supply quality, you won't regret it)

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lighter colored (cream) chino could work nicely. As for potential wool pants, I'd suggest mid-grey flannel. It's exceptionally versatile. Since you're on a student budget, I'd urge you to look at what kinds of deals you can get on things you like and to definitely not pay full retail for anything. I'd also stick with solid colors at this point.

Brooks Brothers does not get a lot of love on here, but if you see something you like on clearance on their website (www.brooksbrothers.com), go for it. I'd also check out Sierra Trading Post (www.sierratradingpost.com). You have a good chance of finding deals on either wool or more casual dress pants. If you see something you like on Sierra, do a quick search on the brand here and see what kind of reputation it has. They have some great stuff and some not so great stuff, but there are definitely deals to be had. Not sure what they'll charge to ship to Amsterdam but worth a look to at least get some ideas. I can't be of a ton of help if you're looking local, but if you're willing to buy online, there are some solid choices. Both have pretty decent return policies too.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would encourage you to have a closer look at chinos in all kinds of different colours; they were very popular at my business school and - according to me - almost always looked great. It really depends on your environment, however I have seen lots of bright colours during my trips to the Netherlands so it should not be too outlandish for you.

GreenGranted

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'm going after a grey flanel, and maybe another color chino.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi everybody,

Since this is my first post, a quick introduction: I'm a 20 year old student of physics, I live in Amsterdam and I recently developed a big interest in style. I started to build a better wardrobe a few months ago, mainly using masculine-style.com as a guide.

I went from jeans and short sleeved t-shirt always (even in winter, hahah) to a decently dressed guy. Since everybody around me dresses in jeans and graphic hoodies all winter, after a few substitutes I'm already above 90% of the guys. 

The pants I most regularly wear to college are my dark jeans and my beige chino's. I also have a nice pair of lighter jeans I sometimes wear.

I feel like I'm always wearing the same pants, but I don't know exactly what kind of pants will compliment my wardrobe at this point. Louder color chino's perhaps? I also notice some very well dressed guys are wearing wool pants to great effect, but I could find very little info on which one to buy to start out, or how to combine it with the rest of my wardrobe.

For the record: I mostly wear button up shirts (often with a pattern), with or without v-neck sweater / blazer.

Thanks in advance!

All these are fine as a student and certainly chinos in alternate colors are fine.

Don't try and set yourself as superior to your peers, it will not make you popular and will merely cause people to think that you are odd in some way. A pair of grey trousers for formal occasions is a good idea. Just go to a couple of shops and try some flat or pleated are OK. Your shirts and pullover etc seem fine to wear with them, subject to their colours ad the occasion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads