• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Student. Interview in 2 Weeks at "Distinguished" Firm. Need suit. Slim/Young. Toronto. Good Quality.

xolin

Reaction score
I am looking to my very experienced friends on the forum for help:

My so-so Hugo Boss got trashed in an accident and I have an interview in 2 weeks with partners at a prestigious firm. Though they won't expect top-dollar, they do pay attention to fit/quality details, though.

It is almost Boxing Day and I am located in Toronto.

Should I go with classifieds, online, or are there particular Boxing Day sales I should look out for (Brooks Brothers, etc.)?

I don't have a lot of time for returns online or long delivery from the states (can get held at customs).

Also: budget ~$400-600 (cause I need a new pair of shoes and shirt, too)

Advice?

Thanks

5'11.
39R typically.
33 Waist.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking to my very experienced friends on the forum for help: 

My so-so Hugo Boss got trashed in an accident and I have an interview in 2 weeks with partners at a prestigious firm. Though they won't expect top-dollar, they do pay attention to fit/quality details, though.

It is almost Boxing Day and I am located in Toronto. 

Should I go with classifieds, online, or are there particular Boxing Day sales I should look out for (Brooks Brothers, etc.)?

I don't have a lot of time for returns online or long delivery from the states (can get held at customs). 

Also: budget ~$400-600 (cause I need a new pair of shoes and shirt, too)

Advice? 

Thanks

5'11.

39R typically. 

33 Waist.

Let me make sure I understand this. The firm and its partners care about the fit of your suit but not the brand name? I figured they would focus on other things in the interview. What kind of firm is this?

I don't know too many shops in Toronto so I cannot answer your questions. I would just wait for sales.

xolin

Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand this. The firm and its partners care about the fit of your suit but not the brand name? I figured they would focus on other things in the interview. What kind of firm is this?

I don't know too many shops in Toronto so I cannot answer your questions. I would just wait for sales.
It may sound ridiculous, but simply put, I am relying on others' opinions on quality to find a suit that does not look glaringly juvenile nor cheap. A suit that you would wear in front of an accomplished client.

agp

Reaction score
For that much, find a Banana Republic on sale or something from SuitSupply.

Also, I can't help but to notice the contradicting statements in your OP about fit vs. brand. Also the fact that you call it a "prestigious" firm is funny too. If your "prestigious firm" is anything like mine, don't wear anything too nice.

Last edited:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It may sound ridiculous, but simply put, I am relying on others' opinions on quality to find a suit that does not look glaringly juvenile nor cheap. A suit that you would wear in front of an accomplished client. 

Ebay is another choice in your range.

NickInTO

Reaction score
Harry Rosen has a 40% off sale right now. Another poster, othertravel, might have some better info on that if you send him a PM.

Also, Club Monaco has 30% off sale items right now and J. Crew is having a sale as well. Might be able to find a passable navy blue suit there in that price range.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Harry Rosen has a 40% off sale right now. Another poster, othertravel, might have some better info on that if you send him a PM.

Also, Club Monaco has 30% off sale items right now and J. Crew is having a sale as well. Might be able to find a passable navy blue suit there in that price range.

Even at 40% off, 400-600 bucks is still not going to get you much at Harry's

I would suggest the Hugo Boss outlet in Vaughn Mills, Tom's in Kensington Market, or maybe even the Harry Rosen outlet in Heartland.

UrsusREX

Reaction score
I don't know what is so surprising about the OP's statement. My firm, as well as all of the firms I interviewed with, wasn't and isn't interested in the brand of suit that a student wears to an OCI or in-firm. Rather, we are interested to see whether a student is willing to put in the minimal effort to do basic research as to how a suit should fit so that he might present himself in a professional manner.

borbor

Reaction score
Rosen outlet. Pretty good sale for boxing day.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
What's the sale?

I work at a large Bay St. firm and I am involved in the interviewing and recruiting process and have been for several years. As long as you don't fall on either end of the spectrum (no suits with stains, holes white suits, etc. and no Brioni or Kiton either), no one really cares. That said, if it makes you feel better to wear a nice suit, go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads