• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuck in a rut... any advice?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some advice, I'm 24, and my life is stuck in a rut right now. Everyday I get up, go to work, come home, watch tv and surf the internet until it's time to go to sleep. My life has turned into that old Bill Murray movie groundhogs day.

I'm 24, and after I graduated from university 2 years ago, I've fallen out of touch with alot of friends who went into different faculties, who have their own careers, some have moved away. Since I started work about a year ago, I was in an very demanding professional program which killed any remnants of my personal life by requiring me to spend pretty much all my evenings and weekends studying. Recently I finished the program, and I have no idea what to do with my free time. On top of that, I have a friend who fell on some very hard times awhile back, and I helped him through it. He's probably the one person I actually hang around with, but in a way it's bad because I think that might have lead to the decay of other friendships over time.

I left my old job about a month back, where I was actually pretty close with everyone I worked with since we all started together and went through the program together. I'm at a new job where it's great, but i don't have the same level of closeness with everyone. It's not to say I don't get along with my co-workers, but they're work friends and nothing more.

What can I do to get myself out of this funk? Of course I go to social functions whenever possible, but I'm usually the quietest one in the room and more or less a fly on the wall.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I need some advice, I'm 24, and my life is stuck in a rut right now. Everyday I get up, go to work, come home, watch tv and surf the internet until it's time to go to sleep. My life has turned into that old Bill Murray movie groundhogs day.

I'm 27. My life has turned into that old Bill Murray movie Ghostbusters 2. Help.

I'm not joking.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
sounds like you have found alot of free time that you don't know what to do with? do you have a hobby? for me, working on cars is something that i can do to no end, it keeps me happy, and makes me happy when i am down.

try to find something to do by finding something new and interesting. spend some time wandering your local bookstore/magazines. i'm sure you will find something.

also, don't discredit your one friendship so fast, they are hard to come by. best of luck

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Maybe partying will help.

Seriously. No more "functions", but the kind of crazy parties or concerts where you have no choice but to get active with people. Might not meet interesting people there worth keeping around, but being dragged into social interaction can jump start the ole self-assuredness which can lead to not being the quiet one at functions.

Plus, it's fun.

Also, drinking.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fidel,

I went through something similar, if not factually at least emotionally. Also while I was 23/24. I'm still 24 now.

For me though, I partied a lot when I was 22, 23. I had a great time when I first graduated. Big city, good job. Partying a lot, and lots of different girls. I felt like I was a pimp - like I had it all. Lots of friends and social circles. Then for some reason, I started hating it all. The job, the city, the dumb girls, the drinking. My whole life was pointless. I didn't do anything I was actually enjoying. My libido died and I stopped hooking up with girls. I thought I needed a girlfriend to cheer me up, but I realized that a domicile life wouldn't make me happy either. It was scary because I had no idea what went wrong. I was literally "in a rut" and had no way to get out. I thought I would have to move out and start over.

But then I visited a girl that is dear to me in another state. We had a really fun time together, I felt more emotionally connected to her and happier than I had been in months. I got back to NY, and I was happier than I had been for a long time. It wasn't infatuation or love - I was happier about everything! My job got better. My libido got a fresh boost. I was back to my old self and loved life.

I know this situation is a little different than yours. But we were both on paths that kind of killed our lust for life over the last couple of years. I think the trick is to rediscover the fact that there is so much excitement in life - and it all revolved around connections with great people you like and love.

If I were you, I would think about surrounding myself with people I really like. Develop some friendships. It's not hard if you go out of your way. You have to break out of your comfort zone and meet some new people, and have each other become a part of each others' lives, whether its dudes that become your wingman for epic nights or girls that you experience that spark with - platonic or sexual.

There are a lot of ****** people out there, but there are also a lot of amazing ones, and if you give them a chance and look at the world optimistically, you will find them. Believe me, as I felt like life was meaningless only a few months ago.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
///There are a lot of ****** people out there, but there are also a lot of amazing ones...
Nah. They're all ******.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

I'm 24, and after I graduated from university 2 years ago, I've fallen out of touch with alot of friends who went into different faculties, who have their own careers, some have moved away. Since I started work about a year ago, I was in an very demanding professional program which killed any remnants of my personal life by requiring me to spend pretty much all my evenings and weekends studying. Recently I finished the program, and I have no idea what to do with my free time. On top of that, I have a friend who fell on some very hard times awhile back, and I helped him through it. He's probably the one person I actually hang around with, but in a way it's bad because I think that might have lead to the decay of other friendships over time.

I left my old job about a month back, where I was actually pretty close with everyone I worked with since we all started together and went through the program together. I'm at a new job where it's great, but i don't have the same level of closeness with everyone. It's not to say I don't get along with my co-workers, but they're work friends and nothing more.

What can I do to get myself out of this funk? Of course I go to social functions whenever possible, but I'm usually the quietest one in the room and more or less a fly on the wall.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders at 24 that is a respectable accomplishment, helping out friends and succeeding yourself, heck when I was 24 I was still messing around playing video games and feigning sickness not to go to class.
I would have kicked his ass if I saw that me now.

For a person like you who may be going through a 'rut' or been detoured into unexpected routes that may not be the best for yourself per se but as a character and relational view you are investing, you have a directive I'm sure in life and just keep doing what you do faithfully, the purposes for your life will reveal themselves to you I'm sure.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Nah. They're all ******.

^^^ This way to the misanthropy thread -->>

Originally Posted by hossoso
I'm 27. My life has turned into that old Bill Murray movie Ghostbusters 2. Help.

I'm not joking.

Man, I ******* WISH my life was like Ghostbusters.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
doubleretard

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
the purposes for your life will reveal themselves to you I'm sure.

I hope so.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads