• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stubborn tailor...what should I do?

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
How would you guys approach the following situation?:

I bought a Corneliani suit from Century 21 in NYC. They offer tailoring for a minimal price. I asked to have the pants cuffed ($8.00). The salesman who took my measurements (pleasant older Italian immigrant type) seems to be the contact between the store and the tailor they outsource the alterations to.

When he took my measurements for the pants, I asked if the pants' cuffs are done at an angle, when the front is a bit shorter than the back, because I don't want a large break. He said that they are in fact normally angled, but only slightly. He also said that all the work is fully guaranteed to be satisfactory.

I got the pants back, and the break was HUGE. I asked him if this could be fixed, i.e., if the angle could be raised. He said that it's already at a slight angle, and that it's impossible to make a steeper angle where you have cuffs (whereas there is no limit when cuffless).

A few days later, I gave a call to the actual tailor shop that they outsource the alterations to, and asked the tailor if he can angle the cuffs to cure a huge break in front yet the cuffs already sit nicely in the back. He replied that it's not a problem.

Next day, I went back to the salesman and told him what the tailor said. He replied "I don't know why he told you that - its just not possible. And anyway, the length looks perfect, why touch it?" Keep in mind that this is the same guy that tried to convince me that I don't need the sleeves of the jacket shortened, even when he saw that they fully covered the french cuffs of my custom shirt.

What the hell is going on here? Who is in the right? Should I go back and insist that he at least ask the tailor to try?

I know that I'm probably being a baby and should just fork over $20 to go get it re-done at a good tailor shop. But as a matter of principle, I'm a bit annoyed, especially if he really is bullshitting me, and especially when it's supposedly "satisfaction guaranteed."

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
***** and make them fix it. Although I'm not sure what this whole slanted hem is about. Is that an actual thing? If you don't want any break, ask for no break -- that's what I do. But don't expect the back of the pants to be 1/4" off the ground. That would look weird, anyway.

2010-10-13a.jpg

What pants with no break might look like.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just look around and see how many people wear their trousers dragging around their heels. I had to take a pair back twice until it was done right and when I complained to the manager they removed the charge.

I don't like the high water Peewee Herman look but I detest having yards of cloth billowing around the ankles when I walk. Make 'em give you the flight break that you want. You are the customer and the customer is always right.

Macallan

Reaction score
1. Go to the tailor directly or spend the $20 elsewhere and say yourself the hassle dealing with 21st Century
2. Don't use the tailor service available from 21st Century

If you want Century to be involved in the process, go to someone senior then the salesperson; explain the situation and they should help you with the alteration.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think there is a max difference between the front and back that can be done...

also consider, the actual tailor probably knows more then the guy who just measures you and says what "can and can't" be done.

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I only slant cuffs for people with a large belly, because a lot of time the wear the back of the pant higher than the front, as it sit under the belly. By slanting the cuff to the back, it will sit straight when the waistband is tilted to the front. My father seems to believe this is the correct way to do everyones pants, however i highly disagree. The greater the taper in the pant the harder it is to slant without the hem almost having a curve. I personally would rather do really clean nice cuffs without a slant. Some complain about the front hem, some complain about the back, but the pants can only be one length. My advice is to find a break your happy with and accept the back length as is from there.

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
Most of my pants are higher in the back than the front. Just sayin'
are you talking about the hem, or the waistband?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PROTIP: If your belt buckle is pointing toward the ground, you need to pull your pants up, *****. Use suspenders if you have to.

Rick's Tailoring

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
PROTIP: If your belt buckle is pointing toward the ground, you need to pull your pants up, *****. Use suspenders if you have to.

While I completely agree, and even after showing them the benefits of wearing their clothing correctly, I often have customers who do not, and as I read earlier in this thread, the customer is always right.

Icarus

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On principle-talk to a manager and get it corrected.
On common sense-get it done at a good tailor.

PoundSand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy

For many people, the waistband slant isn't because of being fat per se, or having the pants in the wrong place - it's because their WAIST is at a slant due to weak glutes and tight hip flexors causing their ass to stick out behind them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads