• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stubborn collar ring stains

FCS

Reaction score
I have these on a number of my shirts and have been unable to get them off after numerous cleaning. I have tried fabric bar soaps, Oxyclean stain remover spray (not the powder "detergent"), soaking them overnight, etc to no avail. Any innovative ideas to get rid of these or preventing them to soil in the future?

Hans

Reaction score
I spay "Shout Gel" on the stains before washing them. Works for me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wash mine in warm or hot water, never cold.

If you wash your hands in cold water they dont come clean, here's me thinking shirts arent any different.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oxyclean powder in hot water in your sink--leave it to soak for an hour or two, and use a toothbrush on the collar.

deeteecee

Reaction score
A good preventative measure for white shirts is to lay your clean collar flat and dust some talcum/baby powder over the area that accumulates the "ring". Work it in with a wad of tissues or somesuch. This way, over the course of daily wear, the powder not only buffers against soilage, it keeps your nape fresh.

AB01

Reaction score
Instead of making a new topic, I hope it's okay to reopen a topic from 2008, because I don't know the correct answer.

What I usually read is to spray some shout and then throw the shirt right into the washer. I have a big washer, so I do laundry every other week. A shirt can go uncleaned for 14 days, letting the stains set in. So this common suggestion isn't practical.

What is THE preventative measure after wearing a white shirt to avoid collar yellowing?

I own oxyclean gel stick, oxyclean spray bottle and shout spray.
Shout label says leave overnight then into washer, and oxyclean says "up to" ten minutes then wash with regular detergent.

Should I soak a shirt collar after I wear it? What's the thing to do?

Willing to use my sink.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You don't just throw away after 1 wear???
Small-timer

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Collar stain prevention has been discussed to death and the solution is right here.

Rich0116

Reaction score
This:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/4084/stain-removal-guide

I used the full-on vinegar - Oxy-Clean soak - washing procedure maybe once a year or so on my most worn shirts and it got them fresh as new, all around the collar and in the pits too. Fortunately I've managed to enlarge my shirt wardrobe to such an extent that no shirt gets worn more than twice a month nowadays but I can attest to the effectiveness of this method. It was a life (and money) saver.

Otherwise, just get that dirty shirt into a warm or hot wash asap. Don't let them sit out too long. Back in my poorer days I used to go 3-4 wearings between washes and man-oh-man was that a bad idea!

AB01

Reaction score
Thanks, Rich0116. That's seems to be a good method to use on already-stained shirts.

blahman, I read all 7 pages of the thread, and there is no serious answer.

What I am asking about is what to do immediately after taking off a shirt that has been worn all day if it will not be washed in the short term.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads