• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Struggles of a Moderately Educated Denim Enthusiast

ClassAct

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading these forums for a while and in particular researching a specific problem. I Couldn't find a complete answer so decided to sign up!

I'm looking for a pair of selvedge jeans, in a dark indigo wash and also possibly a plain black. I'd like to see these as an investment that will last me several years.

I've done a bit of research and some manufacturers that stand out are Nudie, Edwin, APC and RRL. I'm not looking for overly washed and worn looking denim (although a bit of character over time would be nice). I'm looking for a pair that will look tailored and can be worn with a sport coat and smart shoes as well, on occasion, with a t shirt.

One of my problems is having a small waist (I wear 30"-31" but true waist is 33" last time I measured), and having quite large thighs (22") due to sport and exercise. I used to wear quite baggy and ill fitting jeans to combat this problem. This was usually a 32" waist and use a belt, but I did not like the look of the bunching of the fabric and it generally did not feel snug. I prefer a more tailored look but not skinny or too slim. I do not like the jeans being too high in the crotch area. I don't wear them high but do not 'low ride' them, so usually worn in the middle of the waist.

Currently I wear Levi's 508 in 30"X32". These fit well but a little more space in the crotch/thigh area would be wonderful, however wearing them low can alleviate the slight tightness.

As a sort of benchmark of what doesn't fit, Levi 511 and 510 are far too tight. Also Edwin ED-71 fit, I am just about able to squeeze into but can barely walk so again too tight! Generally jeans labelled as slim fit are too tight for me and this is normally in the crotch and thigh, calves are always fine. Carrot fit jeans tend to fit well but there is some excess fabric in the seat which looks rather unsightly. I tend to enjoy the taper from the knee downwards as large leg holes do not look great with boots and shoes that I wear, which is why I've stayed clear of relaxed or loose fits.

Anyway if you've read through this many thanks and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ClassAct

Reaction score
Hey there thanks for replying. I agree Edwin is amazing quality and finish.
I've tried the ED71 but unfortunately way too tight for me between the waist and knees. I'm not sure how the ED55 compares, would you have any experience of this?

OPC100

Reaction score
I've not tried them myself, but they look to be wider on the thighs than my ED-71's.

If you have a look here;

http://www.edwin-europe.com/fit_guide_mens.php

they have the measurements of all their jeans, so you could compare these with the ED-71's that you tried on and go for something wider on the thighs and knees.

ClassAct

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I did actually take a look at this before. The ed55 has a 1.5cm larger thigh area but I'm not sure how this would translate to when actually wearing it (coupled with the other changes).
I wonder if anyone else could provide an insight?

mmmmpay

Reaction score
Hi Class Act,

I too have done a whole bit of research, and still struggled to pull the trigger. I have no experience with anything I'm about to share, but figured I'd pass on the research I've done to you.

Tellason recently released the Gustave Fit, which they bill as having wider legs and a narrow taper. The heavier denim they offer is particularly dark.

Left Field's Greaser measures as having wide thighs and a taper.

I believe these target a bit of the "workwear" look, but from what I've seen and read they're quite versatile.

Good luck; I've been at it for months.

ClassAct

Reaction score
Appreciate the information. I know how you feel, I'd like to find the perfect fit with quality, having been through so many unsatisfying jeans!
Going to do some research on what you've mentioned.

ClassAct

Reaction score
Unfortunately the jeans you mentioned aren't readily available here in the UK. The Tellason Gustave looks awesome though.
musicboohoo[1].gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

I'd like to find the perfect fit with quality, having been through so many unsatisfying jeans!

Unfortunately the jeans you mentioned aren't readily available here in the UK.

Yup. I'd also like to be able to buy a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23 at my corner liquor store but sometimes we need to be resigned to looking past our own bubble for what we want.

Last edited:

ClassAct

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It would've been even more helpful if you had given me pointers in how to actually look past my bubble and purchasing the Tellason jeans outside of the USA, be able to try them on and return them if needed, all at a reasonable price for jeans of this quality.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We're actually doing a 3sixteen+ jean that's made in San Francisco that's being released this spring that's exactly what you're after in terms of price, fit, and details.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. It would've been even more helpful if you had given me pointers in how to actually look past my bubble and purchasing the Tellason jeans outside of the USA, be able to try them on and return them if needed, all at a reasonable price for jeans of this quality.

Or if I had held your hand and told you that there's already a thread where people like you ask questions like this every day? Or should have I helped you google "tellason" to find out just how to buy things from the internet?

FFS.

ClassAct

Reaction score
I have found the thread you've mentioned, and to my surprise you were the thread starter! Anyway I shall look into posting my question there.

What you've done so far has truly been above and beyond the call of duty. I think the manner in which you answered was especially outstanding and made this thread overall a more pleasant experience, not only for me but for anyone else with a similar question.

Again thank you for your continued support.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads