• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

strongman/carrying things training

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, before you see the "strongman" in the post and write me off as a douche, hear me out:

Today because my gym is closed for the weekend, I decided to try and mix up my training a little. I have a 50 lb kettlebell that I use for exercises and a nearby hill that I sprint up and down for cardio, so I thought an interesting workout for today would be to carry it up and down the hill in a one-handed farmers walk, alternating hands on different intervals. The hill is about a hundred and fifteen or so meters give or take, with a forgiving but noticeable incline.

I thought I'd just hold it in my right hand, jog up, run down, and switch hands to my left and repeat the process. Big mistake! After the first sequence I was trying to recollect my brain from how hard it was. I eventually had to scale back and play around with holding sequences, as well as different ways of holding it (goblet style works pretty well too)

But anyway, I liked it because it reminded me of how guys in strongman competitions always have to carry weird shaped things and thus need a ridiculous amount of core and leg strength, not to mention anaerobic endurance to make things like this work. I have to say that after trying it out today, I want to give it another shot tomorrow (if my body forgives me in the morning). Does anyone else have any similar workouts that they want to share?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i havde a sled and giant tire at home for this kind of thing. i also use a trap bar for farmer's walking and a couple of 200lb stones for carrying around. it's good to mix it up once in a while.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i havde a sled and giant tire at home for this kind of thing. i also use a trap bar for farmer's walking and a couple of 200lb stones for carrying around. it's good to mix it up once in a while.

dude, you carry around "a couple" of those 200 pound atomic stones? ****!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^one at a time. not the man i used to be with 2 blown discs.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^one at a time. not the man i used to be with 2 blown discs.

ok, I see. but that is still impressive. those things are really hard to get a grip on, and you have to get past the fear of mashing your feet. very cool

Invicta

Reaction score

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's awesome!

For added fun try overhead squats with it.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Invicta
I give you The Sloshing Pillar of Pain

Who knew 36lbs could have you crying like a baby...

holy ****. I want one of those. Too bad there's damn near no space in my dorm room for one
frown.gif

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
Dan John is a nut. I love him. Never met a guy who loved lifting, throwing and beer quite as much.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i need the pillar of pain in my life. stat.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha that thing looks awesome, but its almost hard to believe before you try it.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a Dan John fan for several years now. Check out his site www.danjohn.org I have a Pillar of Pain in my garage after seeing the article last year. I use it sometimes; it's really more of a novelty for me. Real cool idea though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads