• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stronglifts on a cut? Need advice on my routine.

Saltricks

Reaction score
I'm 5'9" and maybe around 190 working down to 170 or so for a cut. Diet Keep my macronutrients in decent ratios Cut 500 calories from maintenance levels Exercise At the gym 5-7 times a week Stronglifts 5x5 Sporadic Cardio: Basketball, Swimming, Low-Impact Machines Weekly Sprint Workout Do you think this is adequate, too little, or too much? I know they say you shouldn't do Stronglifts with other exercises...but what do you guys think?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks solid, report back on how it goes.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Looks solid, report back on how it goes.

Solid enough to beat someone who does p90x, all else the same? I kinda made a bet, haha.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ceteris paribus, I would say yes. At the least you'll probably end up stronger of the bunch.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much.

Keep the 5 x 5 - go every other day, but, really, 3x week is fine.

Cut out ALL **** from your diet: Pasta, sugars, sweets. You want to reduce your carbohydrate consumption down to about 100-150 grams/day. If you want to lose more weight, keep carb intake below 100.

Start eating quality meat and fat. Look into: pastured beef and chicken, fish, eggs (all ways), oysters/clams/mussels (definitely oysters - zinc content is highest in universe). Cook with real fats: butter (best is pastured - KerryGold is widely available, and worth the extra 2 bucks a pound), Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (this stuff is the best kept secret), Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Remember this: FAT is FUEL. Carbohydrates are the culprit in weight gain and retention; they are also linked to western disease (diabetes, cancer, obesity, heart disease).

If you do need extra carbs, get them with veggies: sweet potatoes, squash, etc. Even whole grains will slow you down. Trust me.

Limit dairy consumption, especially "conventional" dairy.

Ditch alcohol. Your body will springboard ahead quickly without it.

Keep your sprinting routine. The best thing you could do. Check out Tabata sprints.

Scale back on cardio, specifically the machines. Go for a walk or play like you posted. Look into dynamic movements, like Yoga. Check out Al Kavadlo videos for some more workout ideas (fun bodyweight exercises).

Go here: you will be amazed and it will change your life: www.marksdailyapple.com

Rest MUST be a part of your routine. Get good sleep - get off the comp two hours before bedtime. Learn to breathe deeply (again, a life-changer). Look into Yoga movements. All these will make you stronger and, really, calmer.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reduced calorie intake + all of this activity = burnout.

Don't go overboard brah. A three day split is more than enough, with some low intensity cardio on off days. You will be much happier and everything will be much more sustainable in the long run.

juliank

Reaction score
I just lost 40lbs and am down to 7%BF on the 5X5. I run it 3 days a week and the other 3 days I was doing cardio 30-60 minutes. Cardio amounts will depend on how much you want to eat. I prefer to eat more, hence I do more cardio. Also I listen to long dj mixes which makes me enjoy my cardio sessions, but cardio could theoretically be cut out completely or to very minimal high intensity amounts. Roguls advice is pretty much exactly what I did to get the low bf and is what I am still doing now, including the yoga which has now become a fundamental part of my life.

I ran a 50p/30c/20f on lifting days and 50/20c/30f on non lifting days. This will vary based on your body type, ectos can afford more carbs, endos much much less, mesos somewhere in between.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Too much. Keep the 5 x 5 - go every other day, but, really, 3x week is fine. Cut out ALL **** from your diet: Pasta, sugars, sweets. You want to reduce your carbohydrate consumption down to about 100-150 grams/day. If you want to lose more weight, keep carb intake below 100. Start eating quality meat and fat. Look into: pastured beef and chicken, fish, eggs (all ways), oysters/clams/mussels (definitely oysters - zinc content is highest in universe). Cook with real fats: butter (best is pastured - KerryGold is widely available, and worth the extra 2 bucks a pound), Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (this stuff is the best kept secret), Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Remember this: FAT is FUEL. Carbohydrates are the culprit in weight gain and retention; they are also linked to western disease (diabetes, cancer, obesity, heart disease). If you do need extra carbs, get them with veggies: sweet potatoes, squash, etc. Even whole grains will slow you down. Trust me. Limit dairy consumption, especially "conventional" dairy. Ditch alcohol. Your body will springboard ahead quickly without it. Keep your sprinting routine. The best thing you could do. Check out Tabata sprints. Scale back on cardio, specifically the machines. Go for a walk or play like you posted. Look into dynamic movements, like Yoga. Check out Al Kavadlo videos for some more workout ideas (fun bodyweight exercises). Go here: you will be amazed and it will change your life: www.marksdailyapple.com Rest MUST be a part of your routine. Get good sleep - get off the comp two hours before bedtime. Learn to breathe deeply (again, a life-changer). Look into Yoga movements. All these will make you stronger and, really, calmer.
Uggh low carb taliban. I wouldn't really call 100 to 150g low carb, but that's a good number for somebody weighing 190. Also theres good evidence for high calcium consumption being good for fat loss muscle building. If you're uncomfortable with dairy take calcium pills if time is of essence I would start with a bigger deficit and slowly add more in as you stall. You could also do some fasted cardiovascular in the morning with a caffeine yohimbine stack. Maybe add green tea extract and l tyrosine But I would workout twice a week and do easy 30 min cardio every day you're not working out

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
Uggh low carb taliban. I wouldn't really call 100 to 150g low carb, but that's a good number for somebody weighing 190.

Also theres good evidence for high calcium consumption being good for fat loss muscle building. If you're uncomfortable with dairy take calcium pills

if time is of essence I would start with a bigger deficit and slowly add more in as you stall. You could also do some fasted cardiovascular in the morning with a caffeine yohimbine stack. Maybe add green tea extract and l tyrosine

But I would workout twice a week and do easy 30 min cardio every day you're not working out

I quite like ephedrine+caffeine stack. And yeah... Feeling you on that low carb taliban ****. What I will say is that on a cut, carbs are the lowest priority what with limited calories and all. Protein sparing modified fast FTW.

Saltricks

Reaction score
I've been doing good on the diet, but I fear I may not be getting the calories I need. Definitely feeling the lower carb effects though, I get mild headaches sometimes and get sleepy even after 8 hours of rest. Do you guys think this could be due to eating under 1200 calories a day? Sometimes I don't feel hungry and overeat. Would this be detrimental for my weight loss?

Also, I might cut some of the basketball down because I felt knee pain for 3 days this weekend. I haven't been this active since high school though, so maybe its my body getting readjusted to being worked hard. Overall doing good so far though, people are already commenting on the fat loss. I have before pics, so we'll see what I look like when I hit my goal.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I've been doing good on the diet, but I fear I may not be getting the calories I need. Definitely feeling the lower carb effects though, I get mild headaches sometimes and get sleepy even after 8 hours of rest. Do you guys think this could be due to eating under 1200 calories a day?

Are you a preteen girl? If not EAT

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I've been doing good on the diet, but I fear I may not be getting the calories I need. Definitely feeling the lower carb effects though, I get mild headaches sometimes and get sleepy even after 8 hours of rest. Do you guys think this could be due to eating under 1200 calories a day? Sometimes I don't feel hungry and overeat. Would this be detrimental for my weight loss? Also, I might cut some of the basketball down because I felt knee pain for 3 days this weekend. I haven't been this active since high school though, so maybe its my body getting readjusted to being worked hard. Overall doing good so far though, people are already commenting on the fat loss. I have before pics, so we'll see what I look like when I hit my goal.
Most definitely the sub 1200 calories. You should be eating at least 1600 calories at your weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics