• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strongest Pomade for Slicked Back Hair

Evl32

Reaction score
I started trying to slick my hair back with water-based pomade, but it wouldn't stay back, so I tried clay, cause I heard it had more hold. Still wouldn't stay back. I didn't want to start with wax or oil-based pomade because I know they're not great for your hair, but I wasn't getting nearly enough hold so I went for the wax. It works a little better, but still only holds at the start, then before long it's all fallen down in my face again. So, I'm thinking the next step is the strongest pomade on the market - any recommendations?

My hair just reaches my shoulders, and it's straight and fine. I should also mention that I've experimented with many different methods to try and get it to stay back - blow-drying, less product, more product, combinations of products (mousse, hair-spray, sea salt, both on their own and combined with both water-based pomade and clay). Always the same result - my hair looks great and stays back for about 10 minutes, then it falls down and I'm just a guy with dirty messy hair. My girlfriend thinks I just don't have the right kind of hair to stay back, but I don't want to give up just yet. It seems like there's got to be a product that will work...

Ideally I'd like a side part, like this:

16lzber.jpg

zteqo2.jpg

But if that doesn't work I'd be fine with just straight back, like this:

1zr0sra.jpg

Thanks!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those first two pics don't look like pomade to me. If they are, it's a softer hold or water based pomade.

If you want to use pomade to achieve a look like pic #3, then an oil based pomade will be the strongest. There are plenty of strong hold pomades such as maybe Lockhart's Goon Grease, Shear Revival Easy Tiger, Suavecito, etc.

If strong hold oil based pomades don't give you the hold you want you might try blow drying your hair into the slicked back style and then applying the pomade (if you're not doing that already).

You could also use gel (which is stronger than pomade but gives you that wet look and stays 'hard') or just get your hair cut shorter as it may be too heavy to do what you're trying to do. Finally, some type of hair spray would help also but this all sounds like a lot of work to achieve something that should really look and feel effortless.

sajesak

Reaction score
I started trying to slick my hair back with water-based pomade, but it wouldn't stay back, so I tried clay, cause I heard it had more hold. Still wouldn't stay back. I didn't want to start with wax or oil-based pomade because I know they're not great for your hair, but I wasn't getting nearly enough hold so I went for the wax. It works a little better, but still only holds at the start, then before long it's all fallen down in my face again. So, I'm thinking the next step is the strongest pomade on the market - any recommendations?

My hair just reaches my shoulders, and it's straight and fine. I should also mention that I've experimented with many different methods to try and get it to stay back - blow-drying, less product, more product, combinations of products (mousse, hair-spray, sea salt, both on their own and combined with both water-based pomade and clay). Always the same result - my hair looks great and stays back for about 10 minutes, then it falls down, and I'm just a guy with dirty messy hair. My girlfriend thinks I just don't have the right kind of hair to stay back, but I don't want to give up just yet. It seems like there's got to be a product on some website that will work...

Ideally I'd like a side part, like this:

16lzber.jpg

zteqo2.jpg

But if that doesn't work I'd be fine with just straight back, like this:

1zr0sra.jpg

Thanks!
If you want to use pomade to achieve a look like pic #3, then an oil based pomade will be the strongest. There are plenty of strong hold pomades such as maybe Lockhart's Goon Grease, Shear Revival Easy Tiger, Suavecito,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads