• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Strong Lifts and Bike Riding

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I am just starting out with the 5x5 program in an effort to get stronger. However, I am also hoping to train for RAGBRI (bike ride across Iowa). That requires progressivly longer bike rides, eventually riding over 100 miles a week.

Are these two goals incompatable? In other words, will my lifting efforts be wasted, or at least dramatically inhibited, if I am also spending so much time on the bike.

velobran

Reaction score
RAGBRI is a very casual long distance ride. Average total length is about 472 miles and around 68 miles/day (from host city to host city). A cycling enthusiast can complete the daily ride in 3 - 4 hours without stopping. More recreational will take 5 - 7 hours with stops for refills and such.

Either way - this isn't a lot of time on the bike if you've been riding descent distances (30 - 40 miles a few times a week). Your back and ass might take most of the beating if you have legs that are in shape.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all you want is to get stronger right? not bigger?

so if you do a weightlifting program properly you'll get stronger. the only thing the bike ride will do is really burn calories and build cardiovascular base.

both are compatible.

bvbellomo

Reaction score
You can do both, but you need to prioritize.

If strength is your priority, never skip a workout or vary the program. 3x5 or 5x5 squats 3 times each week, adding 5lbs each time. This will impact your ability to bike, but you will still build cardiovascular fitness and other leg muscles, even though you can't ride as fast or far with 'dead' legs. Take a week off squats if you have a race or other event you want peak performance.

If biking is priority, do the opposite. Develop a program to train for biking, and don't compromise your distance or frequency, even if you have to slow down a little being sore from squats. You will be sore and feel like skipping squats, and you don't need to do them 3 times a week but never go a week without squats, and you should squat twice a week more weeks than once a week. This is mostly a mental battle, as your legs CAN do squats even though you feel like you can't (you might need to lower the weight, especially if you start failing reps despite 100% effort).

These are both goals that you work up to over a long time, and they will to some extent compliment each other. But the most important thing is to do both consistently over long periods of time. That doesn't mean you don't need to push yourself, squats especially are mental effort - but going 80% intensity all year is far better than 100% intensity for 3 months and then 1 month off.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.