• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

strong genes

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
last night I was going over some pictures that I am sending to be digitized. old stuff. looked at a picture of my great great grandfather - he looks just like me. my father looks just like me, as does my son. pretty wild, my wife says that our paternal family genese seem not to dilute at all.

anybody have that type of thing?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sort of. It sounds funny, but everyone on my dad's side has the same nose. I didn't notice it myself (IIRC it was pointed out to me by an old girlfriend), but it does seem to hold true.

imschatz

Reaction score
My brothers and I all look like my mom's brother's, who all look exactly like her dad and so on. I have some of my dad's traights, but it's creepy how much my mom's male family all look alike.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how wide a genetic net did your grandfather and father cast when they married? By that I mean, were your grandmother and mother from the same ethnic/national/etc. background as your grandfather and father? From the same neighborhoods or enclaves, even?

It sounds like there isn't a lot of genetic diversity in your family line. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just saying it might account for the non-"dilution" of your traits.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason most kids born into my family seem to resemble me. My nieces look more like me than than mother, even my cousins son is a spitting image of me.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because your kid looks like you doesn't mean you "won out." Genes are spread through out the entire body. If your wife has bad eye sight your kid can inherit that from mommy. You can't really know how much genes kids have from the parents by just looking at them. Some genes you just can't see.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this ... my whole family's ugly as fuk cuzzz

(notsrs)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my middle son looks exactly like me at 8, my youngest looks exactly like my father in law at 6 and my oldest looks just like my wife at 10 so I guess we both have strong genes.

dave

Reaction score
oddly enough, if you take a photo of my extended family on my dad's side, we ALL look alike. Every boy on my paternal side could pass for any other one except for discrepancies in height. i suspect inbreeding really. it would explain a lot.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I was about to simply post "why?" in response to the Greek family tree, then I saw who posted it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
there's a picture of me when I was 2 or 3 yrs old that looks so much like my 2 year old, and my wife as a child closely resembles our 7 year old. my sf/fb friends can attest to that.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My little brother and sister look like 50/50 mixes of mom and dad, and have a lot of fairly similar traits. I look nothing like either of my parents.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Out of curiosity, how wide a genetic net did your grandfather and father cast when they married? By that I mean, were your grandmother and mother from the same ethnic/national/etc. background as your grandfather and father? From the same neighborhoods or enclaves, even?

It sounds like there isn't a lot of genetic diversity in your family line. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm just saying it might account for the non-"dilution" of your traits.

strangley enough, there is a huge amount of genetic diversity. my dad's paternal family is from the UK, with a Danish last name. his maternal family line is scotish. my mom's famly is eastern european jewish.

I have a half brother who is god knows what, but I am thinking not jewish, and he looks just like me and my father.

there are some variations - my fathers mother was very short, so all of the grandkids are short. somehow my father has very thin hair, which his father didn't and I don't. little variations in eye color.

its pretty weird

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics